• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OK Its Our Last Week To Ditch This Thing...Are We EVER Going To Get Froyo?? Anytime Soon?

PEOPLE CALM DOWN!

I don't understand what is the rush, we all knew that the phone was coming with Eclair, and its strange for a phone to be out less than a month and already have a major OS update.

SAMMY and Sprint ain't saying anything because they don't want to be quoted on something they don't know they can deliver on the exact time frame, BUT we are getting Froyo, I know this for a fact. Yes they dropped the BH2 by surprise with 2.1 upgrade but it was far more inferior device than the Epic 4G or for that case any of the Galaxy S series.

I think that Sammy has pout out way to much $$$$$ for them just to drop the thing off the face of the planet; when was the last time you saw a cell phone manufacture release phones for all Major US Carriers?

If we want something somewhat solid we will have to wait a month or 2 more for it or else we will get Froyo and then blast them for such a bad work and buggy system they have released and at that point.... return policy ain't an option.

Upvote 0
Well Evo got Froyo about a month after launch why not Epic? At least there was some early confirmation with Evo that it was coming out, with Epic there is nothing not a hint and im afraid its going to stay that way too. For me not getting Froyo soon is a major concern.
I'm not sure what you're talking about, Sprint and Samsung have both said the Epic (and all other Galaxy S phones) will be upgraded to Froyo. The only thing we don't know is a time line - I would be about another month which would put it about on par with the Evo.

Clark

Upvote 0
Froyo will barely change the Epic at all. I don't see what the big deal is. Sure, we get flash support... but that runs pretty slow on every phone I've tried it on anyway.

SO what else is there...? Phone is already insanely fast. The headphone jack on the dock will work on 2.2 supposedly. But really.... Froyo is all hype and nothing really special.

This phone is just about perfect for me as is.

Reactions: Raul121
Upvote 0
Froyo will barely change the Epic at all.
I think the app storage is an issue.

In answer to the OP, Spint and Samsung never said, or implied that froyo was coming in September.

I have only seen one thing alluding to what they have said in answer to that question, and they did it in resposne to a question form engadget, where sprint said: about the same amount of time it took for Evo, certainly by the end of the year. That would be three months from release.

I have a friend who is a sprint ambassador/advocate and he was told third week in October for his, but it maybe pushed back. Also Sometimes they get their updates as a kind of broad final beta one or two weeks before general users.

Reactions: flonkas
Upvote 0
What is the big deal about Froyo? Most people (on the EVO) have been more impressed about the non-Froyo updates than the Froyo ones. 2.1 - 2.2 Android is a very small improvement.

Just take the phone back because all this drama is not needed, you don't even know what you're whining about.....

Some of us cannot take back the phone. The Epic is our second phone in our 30 days guarantee. Some of us believed the hype on the Epic and now, we are stuck with the Epic.

Upvote 0
What is the big deal about Froyo? Most people (on the EVO) have been more impressed about the non-Froyo updates than the Froyo ones. 2.1 - 2.2 Android is a very small improvement.

Just take the phone back because all this drama is not needed, you don't even know what you're whining about.....

My friend who has an EVO told me that HTC had specific updates for the EVO within the Froyo update. The update not only added flash but also optimized the software to make the phone faster and more efficient. The battery life is better on Froyo and the UI is smoother. Hopefully Samsung can fix the battery life for the Epic too.

Upvote 0
My friend who has an EVO told me that HTC had specific updates for the EVO within the Froyo update. The update not only added flash but also optimized the software to make the phone faster and more efficient. The battery life is better on Froyo and the UI is smoother. Hopefully Samsung can fix the battery life for the Epic too.

BS, there is no battery improvement on Froyo. In fact many people have been having worse battery life. The flash, if you leave it on bogs the phone down horrendously.

Froyo JIT compiler allows for more efficient memory usage thus taking the heavy load off the CPU, increasing performance, and giving better battery life. Here's the details:

Android Dalvik JIT, Internals in Froyo

Fast forward to 24 mins in presentation

All that means is that you get better results in the pretty much useless benchmark tests. Most people could hardly tell a difference besides that. Oh and the dreadful manage applications opens faster.

In the real world, Froyo has not made a big impact. The biggest improvements for the EVO during that update were not related to the OS. The camera finally got H.264 which was a huge improvement and then there was the LED flash.

I'm not making this up, there are enough posts about it on the EVO board. Froyo is not worth ditching a phone for.

Upvote 0
I'm not making this up, there are enough posts about it on the EVO board. Froyo is not worth ditching a phone for.

there are definite benefits to Froyo. Also users have a right to expect it since it has been promised. What I was getting at in my posts is that I haven't seen evidence of any assertion by sprint or samsung that ir would come before the end of the year so it is important that expectations as to day not get out of hand as that makes owners have false expectations (evidenced by people citing 30 days return). Owners should not be saying they have 30 days to return because they wee imagining things to think that froyo would come in that period.

Also FROYo update for Epic will indeed have many improvements because it is generally beleived to also include dealing with the first set of these two sets of pressing issues: a) reduced function touch wiz and absence of certain apps due to not enough time to integrate tehm inot slider induced landscape mode; and b) uploads speeds and GPS optimization.

So in Epics case Froyo will bring a lot, for what accompanies it as well. such as the missing touchwiz 3, and a number of features present on the other galaxies, and absent on Epic.

I am hopeful that the second set of issues will be dealt with in a baseline before froyo.

Upvote 0
there are definite benefits to Froyo. Also users have a right to expect it since it has been promised. What I was getting at in my posts is that I haven't seen evidence of any assertion by sprint or samsung that ir would come before the end of the year so it is important that expectations as to day not get out of hand as that makes owners have false expectations (evidenced by people citing 30 days return). Owners should not be saying they have 30 days to return because they wee imagining things to think that froyo would come in that period.

Also FROYo update for Epic will indeed have many improvements because it is generally beleived to also include dealing with the first set of these two sets of pressing issues: a) reduced function touch wiz and absence of certain apps due to not enough time to integrate tehm inot slider induced landscape mode; and b) uploads speeds and GPS optimization.

So in Epics case Froyo will bring a lot, for what accompanies it as well. such as the missing touchwiz 3, and a number of features present on the other galaxies, and absent on Epic.

I am hopeful that the second set of issues will be dealt with in a baseline before froyo.

I agree, trust me, any improvement that is sent out, I will take. But the Epic is plenty good enough at pretty much everything (except GPS, Battery Life, Touchwiz, and Capacitive Touch Buttons).

I also agree that if it's promised, it should be delivered, and I'm sure it will, but it's not going to be in the OP's 30 day window so he's going to have to take a chance on it.

Also I don't include upgrades that also come out with the Froyo update to actually be part of Froyo. If Samsung fixes those things, it will be Samsung and not Google that fixed em. They will just be packaged together before being sent out. Froyo itself is not as big as the hype that goes with it.

gingerbread should actually be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones