• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Okay someone please HELP! Dumb it down for me...

NiceGuyJon

Sep 29, 2011
I am fairly annoyed because I have always resisted rooting, but decided to do it JUST TWO WEEKS AGO for one reason and one reason only- I bought a Toshiba Thrive tablet which is Wi Fi only, so I wanted to tether it to my Droid Incredible 2, effectively making my Thrive 3G. Well I rooted it, downloaded the tethering app, and was never able to tether my Thrive to it. It wouldn't work, apparently Verizon found a way to keep that from happening. Minor annoyance, but no big deal.

So I rooted two weeks ago to do exactly one thing, I couldn't do it, and now I am dealing with this stupid update nightmare, the one where it won't update and instead stops at the triangle with the exclamation point with the little blue droid guy. I did a factory reset thinking it would remove the root, but all it did was make me have to spend the time to set my phone back up again, and no lie WITHIN FIVE MINUTES of finally getting my phone back the way I want it, another update came through and froze my phone up.

I have never flashed anything (except that one time back in college) and would not know how to begin. I am a quick learner though, so if you could explain to me exactly what I have to do to either a) unroot my phone so I can update or b) flash, freeze, massage, or offer up the proper sacrifice to my phone so that it will receive the benefits of the update and no longer automatically update so I don't have to deal with this anymore I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

I'll see if I can help with some of your questions. I cannot help with your Thrive issue.

First, if you are rooted you cannot and should not do the OTA update. If you are rooted and want to update your phone, find a customer ROM you like and load that. Also, factory resets to not remove the root.

If you used Revolutionary to root your phone and you want to unroot it, read this thread.
[GUIDE] Unroot Revolutionary on the Incredible 2 - Android Forums

Upvote 0
I'll see if I can help with some of your questions. I cannot help with your Thrive issue.

First, if you are rooted you cannot and should not do the OTA update. If you are rooted and want to update your phone, find a customer ROM you like and load that. Also, factory resets to not remove the root.

If you used Revolutionary to root your phone and you want to unroot it, read this thread.
[GUIDE] Unroot Revolutionary on the Incredible 2 - Android Forums

Thank you very much, I will do that now. I am not concerned with the Thrive. I wanted to tether it, I can't, and have moved on from that. My concern now is that I don't want any more problems with my phone. I don't care to be rooted anymore, and honestly would prefer not to be after my experience. If I follow the above directions to unroot, can I then receive the OTAs? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I am not sure if you have unrooted already or not, but if you flash a custom ROM, then it will automatically block OTA's. Some other benefits of custom ROMs are:

• They are debloated
  • Almost all of them include Sense 3.0 (unless specifically stated to not)
  • Almost of of them have the most reccent version of Android

If this is not for you and you just want stock again, then I suggest unrooting. However, if you want to have a phone without all the crap that Verizon and HTC put on it, then custom ROM is the way to go.

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones