• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help old problem but with a difrent slant

hi all
new here right things you need some basic info to help me with this problem i have a new htc black desire with HTC Sync, version: 2.0.33 software on my pc that has windows windows vista on it
when i try to sync my phone with pc i get a couple of msgs
1 is one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunction, and windows does not recognize it
:mad::mad::mad::thinking::thinking::thinking:
the 2nd one is on the phone
unable to find HTC sync on your pc. please make sure that the htc syncs installed and opened on your computer.
you can install htc sync from your SD card

what do i need to do to get it to work

all help wanted and a big thanks for any info

papa j:cool:

UPDATE: Sorry, but it really did have something to do with my USB port. I tried plugging it into another port and it worked. But it's still a mystery since the initial "faulty" USB port I used, worked with other devices.

im not sure if i have a propper solution but here are a few things to try:

Install the version of HTC sync that is on your memory card ( htc puts it there) because the desire has special drivers for vista/7.

Also for the usb malfunction error, its either a faulty memory card, or faulty usb port,
not the phone itself.

this used to work for the hero:
turn your phone on
Plug it in
Turn your phone off
turn your phone on ( still plugged in)

and see if windows then gets all the drivers.

I've the same problem - USB malfunction. I'm not even trying to sync it but my windows 7(64bit) just doesn't detect the phone as anything. So I only end up charging the phone and nothing else. I tried looking for HTC sync on the memory card but there's nothing. Tried dling the latest from HTC website, couldn't open the file. Also tried your method for hero, nope doesn't work either.

Definitely nothing to do with the memory card or my usb port since I connected it to a work computer, an XP, and it worked. The usb port on my windows 7 works perfectly fine with other devices too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones