• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange UK 2.1 update news

Just my 2 cents on the whole thing, set clock fwd to sept and 2.1 came through straight away, god what a relief feel like ive finally got some blood out of that stone! Installed fine, did stop for a few mins though so thought it might have crashed :O but it was fine in the end. Reboots about 4 times then finally pops up. My date was set to NOV 17th 1980 wich made me laugh though :D
Then... utter delight, 2.1 was on, running, and also eveything was there! Contacts, apps, market all good, wifi settings. Been going through every menu i can and all seems fine so far, just really really hope Bluetooth is working proper as i havent tried it yet.
So guess thats it for me.. its certainly given the Hero another year or two of life as all the things that bugged me have gone i.e keyboard/sms lag etc

Hope everyone gets it soon!!

Cheers.

Reactions: ianmccully1
Upvote 0
wow!

Finally got 2.1 at 6pm tonight and still messing with it now! tons of new stuff!!

Liking Google navigation and loving the fact that I can now send (and I'm assuming receive - although not yet tested!) files via Bluetooth!!

Yay!!

;)

Thanks to all for the constant updates regarding this release and of course Geoff for his Facebook campaign to finally get this thing done!

Does anyone know if 2.1 improves compatibility between the hero and certain wifi routers that didn't play ball before?

That's prob the only thing I've not been able to test yet! and 1.5 didn't get along with my girlfriends talk talk router.. it'd connect 1st time but would keep disconnecting.. or download Google maps without problems but point blank refuse to download anything from android market..

Guess I'll find out soon enough!

Thanks again people!!

Neil.

Reactions: ianmccully1
Upvote 0
Hi guys.

Just installed 2.1. Looks really nice but I have a problem. It won't let me sign in to my Google account, nor will it let me create a new one. It gives me an error message stating 'Cant establish a reliable connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care'

I have tried this with both Wi-Fi and 3G. I can't sign in to the Market to download MyBackup and restore all my contacts, apps etc, so the phone is pretty much useless to me right now. Any ideas?

Edit: Just looked elsewhere on the forums and saw that people fixed this by doing a factory reset and entering the details on phone set up. If I do a factory reset now, will it still be loaded as 2.1 or will it revert back to 1.5? I don't think this is necessary, so I'd still like to know if anyone knows how to fix this, but I figured it's worth a go.

Edit 2: Factory reset to 2.1 and it fixed it.

Upvote 0
Hi

Now running 2.1 after receiving part one then pushing date forward one month to receive part 2.

Noticed my build number is not .66 but 3.35.61.2, then some letters and numbers after that. As said though 2.1 is installed and running ok (only issue was date being April 1980 when re-booted); so do I still need to install the .66 update?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Morning all.

Does anyone know what version of flash player is contained within 2.1?

I'm assuming that's been updated too as I've just had great fun trying various games from flash based games sites! which I'm sure I could never do on 1.5! (but happy to be corrected !)

My 'radio' also seems to be much better and handcent sms is noticeably quicker at sending my texts!

Hope the rest of you get your 2.1 update sorted too as it's definitely worth doing!

Enjoy!

N.

Upvote 0
I've a problem, my build is 2.73.61.91 so I need to got to .66, I can't install this though, my phone hasn't been recognised by any PC for months now, help!

Do you use a task killer? Most people (from my experience) who say their PC wont recognise their phone have killed the "sync" service on the Hero using a task killer. Reboot your phone, dont kill any apps, then connect it to the PC with the Sync manager running on there and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Could some people that have installed 2.1 part 2 post the baseband version that the phone is now on?

Also, does part 1 of the update wipe everything?

Firmware Version = 2.1 update-1
Baseband version = 63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.14
Kernel version = 2.6.29-36d5cb8d htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Build Number = 3.35.61.2 CL196735 release-keys
Software number = 3.35.61.2
Browser version = WebKit 3.1

Part 1 and part 2 on mine wiped nothing

All I know is it reset the home screens so you will need to re-do your layout and some apps don't work so you will need to uninstall them and re-install them.

Thats about it

:)

Reactions: messyhead
Upvote 0
Firmware Version = 2.1 update-1
Baseband version = 63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.14
Kernel version = 2.6.29-36d5cb8d htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Build Number = 3.35.61.2 CL196735 release-keys
Software number = 3.35.61.2
Browser version = WebKit 3.1

Part 1 and part 2 on mine wiped nothing

All I know is it reset the home screens so you will need to re-do your layout and some apps don't work so you will need to uninstall them and re-install them.

Thats about it

:)

Good to know about the wipe - I'm on a rooted phone, so just wanting to check if it'll un-root if I was to try the updates.

Looks like Orange have included the latest radio with the update then.

Upvote 0
Has anyone who have moved from Villain to the stock Orange ROM, I was wondering what the impression was?

I *think* most of the people on this thread have always been stock. I'm considering whether to try the stock at the moment. I'm on SenseHero.

I might wait to find out if the stock ROM can be rooted before I try, so that I can get back some of the stuff I use just now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones