• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange UK 2.1 update news

A few weeks ago now, I sent an email to the executive office at Orange regarding the release date of the 2.1 update, today I received a reply which is as follows....

Thank you for your email dated 1 July 2010.

We have had a number of enquiries regarding the software update and have received the following statement from HTC with regard to it.

"We apologise for the delay in Orange Hero customers receiving their

Upvote 0
Is that why i am not getting the update. I did have one update but it didnt really do anything and as you can see above it hasnt changed my firmware at all.

I think you'll have to update this ROM first, then you should get prompted for the part 1 update for 2.1.

HTC Hero - ROM upgrade for HTC Hero (Orange)

NOTE: This update will completely wipe your phone, so make sure you've backed up your contacts and SMS messages.

Upvote 0
Ok, confusion time for me :)

My build # is 2.73.61.91

Now i know everyone is mentioning that the phone needs to be on .66, but as far as i'm aware, i have actually had the 'Part 1' update today, it shut down my phone etc and i have the 'check for updates' button in 'about phone'.

However i'm getting no second part coming through forthe 2.1?? And my firmware most definately says 1.5

Do i need to install the .66 still? Just seems a little strange they let me download part 1 if the part 2 isnt applicable to my current Build #.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT# I'm on Orange, Orange network, and orange branded phone direct from Orange :)

I was prompted to downloaded the 1st part (.91) yesterday and tried various date changes, checking "System software updates" and *#*#2432546#*#* but no 2nd part.

Then last night I got fed up, downloaded .66 from HTC HTC Hero - ROM upgrade for HTC Hero (Orange) and "updated" from .91 to .66

After the boot, in fact whilst I was setting up my phone from the wipe, I was prompted to download .91. I did this, phone power-cycled, then I set the date forward a month, and the 2nd update came through immediately.

I'm guessing that the update checker "caches" your checks, which is why it always returns "Your phone is up to date."

2.1 looks niiiice
wink.gif

Oh yes and like everyone else says, updating WILL wipe all your phone data. Memory card data shouldn't be affected, but best to play it safe and take it out first.)

Reactions: SKoob
Upvote 0
Are you sure as i got told i didnt need to do this as everything was up to date. I'm not very tech minded which is the best way to back up contacts etc??

Who told you everything was up to date - your phone, or someone?

The .66 update wasn't available Over The Air (OTA) in the same way that the 2.1 updates are.

You need to manually update to the .66 version using the instructions on the link I posted above.

Only once your phone is on that version, which is the latest version of Android 1.5 for Orange phones, will your phone then recognise that there is a newer version available for download OTA and will start to update to that version.

Upvote 0
My work colleague (who isn't registered on this forum) is sitting next to me, excited at the prospect of finally getting 2.1 on his Orange branded Hero.

However he cannot work out how to prompt or check for the update.

Please can someone tell me step by step, what he needs to do on his phone, to get it to check for, and download the update.

Cheers!

Brad

Upvote 0
My work colleague (who isn't registered on this forum) is sitting next to me, excited at the prospect of finally getting 2.1 on his Orange branded Hero.

However he cannot work out how to prompt or check for the update.

Please can someone tell me step by step, what he needs to do on his phone, to get it to check for, and download the update.

Cheers!

Brad
To start off with he won't get the prompt unless he is on the previous latest Orange software, that was issued a few months ago. So first he needs to do that by following the link to the HTC posted before, download the software and then follow the instructions.

Once he has done that then everything else ought to be automatic, with aotamtic reminders for both parts 1 and 2 - at least that is what happened with me.

But be aware he will loose all the settings and apps on the phone when he downloads the first lot of software from HTC. So anything he wants to keep he needs to backup. Mostly applies to settings and things like emails and texts, because he ought to be able to get most of the apps from the market once he logs into Google. I backed up everything anyway using the free 31 day trial version of Mybackup (search the market).

Upvote 0
For information, I didn't lose any of my emails/sms/contacts/apps. However, it is always advisable to back everything up just in case. It seems that the experience has varied for different people.
You will when you do the first ROM upgrade to .66 which was the one I was referring to, and which maintains the OS as Android 1.5. That wipes everything on the phone. You probably won't loose a lot when you do the next two parts of the upgrade, which prepares for and then changes the OS to Android 2.1

Upvote 0
Right well all went OKish

Tried first on my windows 7 machine which works fine with sync and mounting SD card, after running .66 update it installed bootloader I think on machine and then proceeded to crash with a usb connection failed error at which point I thought my phone is bricked, it was left sitting there with white screen green writing. I pulled the battery restarted it and phone was back as it was phew!!!

Decided I wasn

Reactions: captainham
Upvote 0
To start off with he won't get the prompt unless he is on the previous latest Orange software, that was issued a few months ago. So first he needs to do that by following the link to the HTC posted before, download the software and then follow the instructions.

Once he has done that then everything else ought to be automatic, with aotamtic reminders for both parts 1 and 2 - at least that is what happened with me.

But be aware he will loose all the settings and apps on the phone when he downloads the first lot of software from HTC. So anything he wants to keep he needs to backup. Mostly applies to settings and things like emails and texts, because he ought to be able to get most of the apps from the market once he logs into Google. I backed up everything anyway using the free 31 day trial version of Mybackup (search the market).

Hi - I have already installed the lastest orange software on my phone, but have not received any updates for 2.1... any ways of searching for an update?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones