• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ordered my Nexus 5 after upgrading to ios7

stretch90

Feb 14, 2012
I had a galaxy Nexus before and liked it a lot but decided to trade it for the iPhone 5 because I liked the display, the os was smoother and music integration throughout Apple devices is really great.
Then ios7 came out and ruined almost everything I liked about iOS. The only improvement was the pull up menu that had a bunch of shortcuts, which are actually easier to use on Android with widgets.

Anyway, I accidentally cracked my iPhone screen and replacing the glass cost around $150 so I decided not to do it and just spend $350 on the Nexus, which looks like an amazing phone with an amazing display. Also, kitkat has made improvements in all of the areas that I find important. The os is so smooth on this device, I actually think it's the smoothest phone on the market now and it just feels more substantial when I compare it to competitors. I can't wait to get it!

iPhones are nice phones, but the biggest problem I have with anything from Apple is that you pay through the nose for their products and I have a problem with companies that openly gouge their customers!

I do admit it's rather nice seeing my friends with iPhones rather envious of my N5 with the display and speed! Of course I had to take a lot of crap from them when I was carrying around my antique LG Optimus V for many years...but then again it only cost my $100 at the time!

Upvote 0
My iOS7 experience was dreadful. Despite the fact I am a very patient, experienced iOS user who's owned every single iPhone up to the 5S.

Apple drove me crazy with the plethora of problems spanning the time since iOS7 was released until I finally had enough a few months ago.

The great news is now I'm enjoying a Nexus 5 & Galaxy Note 3, two of the finest phones I've ever used. These put Apples iPhone to shame.

Upvote 0
My iOS7 experience was dreadful. Despite the fact I am a very patient, experienced iOS user who's owned every single iPhone up to the 5S.

Apple drove me crazy with the plethora of problems spanning the time since iOS7 was released until I finally had enough a few months ago.

The great news is now I'm enjoying a Nexus 5 & Galaxy Note 3, two of the finest phones I've ever used. These put Apples iPhone to shame.

Exactly how I feel. tbh, I was a getting annoyed with my galaxy Nexus being more sluggish than the iPhone 4s at the time because I think responsiveness is the most important part of an os, which is why I switched.

ios7 ruined almost everything the iPhone had going for it. I know Jobs isn't here anymore but I don't get how they made such a bad, unattractive product.

Upvote 0
Exactly how I feel. tbh, I was a getting annoyed with my galaxy Nexus being more sluggish than the iPhone 4s at the time because I think responsiveness is the most important part of an os, which is why I switched.

ios7 ruined almost everything the iPhone had going for it. I know Jobs isn't here anymore but I don't get how they made such a bad, unattractive product.

I'm not one to bash another product or brand. As a huge cross platform enthusiast, I simply believe in sharing my first hand experience.

Apple is a very successful company, who's major shortcoming lies more in the companies culture of arrogance, rather than it's products.

I'm a huge supporter of more competition, more brands, and more diversity. No company is perfect, but Apple seems to be so full of themselves that it overshadows the companies technical achievements (my opinion only).

Upvote 0
I'm not one to bash another product or brand. As a huge cross platform enthusiast, I simply believe in sharing my first hand experience.

Apple is a very successful company, who's major shortcoming lies more in the companies culture of arrogance, rather than it's products.

I'm a huge supporter of more competition, more brands, and more diversity. No company is perfect, but Apple seems to be so full of themselves that it overshadows the companies technical achievements (my opinion only).

Maybe they are full of themselves but they've achieved their goals very well. They do very limited updates to their products, which must keep their production costs very low, and they have this amazing image with mainstream consumers that run out to buy their products. I don't think they're interested in being the most innovative or being the most premium brand. They make tons of money and I'm sure they're happy with that.

I hope they can rebuild iOS to work and look as good as it used to but I have very little faith with the people running the company now. They became what they are because of Steve Jobs and without him they'll never be able to create like he did.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Maybe they are full of themselves but they've achieved their goals very well. They do very limited updates to their products, which must keep their production costs very low, and they have this amazing image with mainstream consumers that run out to buy their products. I don't think they're interested in being the most innovative or being the most premium brand. They make tons of money and I'm sure they're happy with that.

I hope they can rebuild iOS to work and look as good as it used to but I have very little faith with the people running the company now. They became what they are because of Steve Jobs and without him they'll never be able to create like he did.

While it makes for a great story, Steve Jobs was only a God to the cult like Apple worshipers and the mainstream press that were influenced by his true skills as a great salesman whom could sell anything. Allowed to make wild marketing claims, he was a world class hype master. Of the original iPad he labeled it "Magical & Revolutionary". Hardly a true statement outside of Apple's minions.

The "New Apple" with Tim Cook at the helm are now forced to do business on a level playing field, and frankly it shows. I happen to believe Apple is better off under the same cold light of day that all others operate in and we are now seeing the truth. Tim Cook is an excellent executive that happily... is not perpetuating or relying on the "Reality Distortion Field" and other fantasies created by S.J. Given time Tim Cook will do well.

Apple's just fine due to their massive profit margins. They are one if not the only company that has programmed many of their believers to brag on Apples behalf, about the companies profits. It is indeed quite the phenomenon. A hero worshipers dream.

Upvote 0
I have an iPhone 5 and I love the iOS 7 upgrade. I also got my wife a Nexus 5 and it's a fantastic device. It's certainly faster than the iPhone 5 (though I played with a 5S and that's really fast too) and the big screen is nice. There are things that I like in iOS and KitKat and I generally use both - I have a Nexus 7 as my tablet and an iPhone so I get the best of both worlds.

One other thing: I will likely move to Verizon from AT&T in the future and hope that Google straightens out their issues with Verizon service on Nexus products in the future.

Upvote 0
While it makes for a great story, Steve Jobs was only a God to the cult like Apple worshipers and the mainstream press that were influenced by his true skills as a great salesman whom could sell anything. Allowed to make wild marketing claims, he was a world class hype master. Of the original iPad he labeled it "Magical & Revolutionary". Hardly a true statement outside of Apple's minions.

The "New Apple" with Tim Cook at the helm are now forced to do business on a level playing field, and frankly it shows. I happen to believe Apple is better off under the same cold light of day that all others operate in and we are now seeing the truth. Tim Cook is an excellent executive that happily... is not perpetuating or relying on the "Reality Distortion Field" and other fantasies created by S.J. Given time Tim Cook will do well.

Apple's just fine due to their massive profit margins. They are one if not the only company that has programmed many of their believers to brag on Apples behalf, about the companies profits. It is indeed quite the phenomenon. A hero worshipers dream.

Jobs was a great salesman but there's no denying that he did amazing things at Apple. He obviously hyped things that weren't amazing or revolutionary but he also created products that were. Smartphones are the way they are because of him...

Also, I have no faith in Tim Cook, Apple maps was a huge disaster and ios 7 I feel is almost as big, expect people aren't making a big deal out of it. Their profits are still high because people have a lot of loyalty to Apple, but if Cook was running the show from the beginning then Apple would not be what they are today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones