• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oreo Promotes Insomnia and Blindness

lcituucnt

Lurker
Nov 10, 2018
Pretty much every decent OS allows you to use a blue-light blocker to:
-prevent delayed melatonin onset caused by blue light exposure
-prevent cell mutations that lead to blindness, caused by blue light exposure

Instead of giving your uneducated opinions on these claims, just search pubmed.org for articles that validate them.

I have tried a lot of things. And I don't find a way to get rid of this bright white notifications menu. MNS is incompatible with my device.

Pretty much every decent OS allows you to use a blue-light blocker to:
-prevent delayed melatonin onset caused by blue light exposure
-prevent cell mutations that lead to blindness, caused by blue light exposure

Instead of giving your uneducated opinions on these claims, just search pubmed.org for articles that validate them.

I have tried a lot of things. And I don't find a way to get rid of this bright white notifications menu. MNS is incompatible with my device.

Have a look in your Oreo phone or tablet's settings, should be under Display > Eye Comfort, or similar. That's the OS built-in blue light blocker or reducer, and you can set times and amount as well. No third-party app required.

Upvote 0
Well I can confirm it's definitely present on a Huawei Mate 10 and a Samsung Galaxy S7, both with Oreo. Huawei calls it "Eye comfort" and Samsung calls it "Blue light filter", but they both operate in exactly the same way, can adjust amount of filter and set a schedule for it. So it sounds like Moto has chosen to omit this feature on the G5. Perhaps you should change the thread title to "Motorola Promotes Insomnia and Blindness"?

I have seen the blue light filter feature as stock on Oppo and Vivo phones as well, I might check Lenovo phones out on this if I have time, seen as they're the manufacturer of Moto phones.

Screenshot_20181111_192554.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
My Pixel also had it on Oreo as part of the OS (Google call it "night light"), so it's certainly a common Oreo feature. Indeed I'd understood it to be standard, though maybe you've been unlucky and bought a phone from a manufacturer who has chosen not to include it.

There are many third party apps that can do this sort of thing if your manufacturer hasn't included it.

Reactions: mikedt and Jfalls63
Upvote 0
No there aren't... I used to use twilight, however, oreo has made it impossible for any app to "draw over" notifications menu in oreo... I have tried all the things and many others have also reported that there is no way to dim the notifications menu...
All right, maybe not the notifications pull down, but how much time do you spend staring at that? Everything else you absolutely can do with a third party app, and a few seconds of unfiltered notifications is not going to make you go blind (it may not be what you want, but that's different from a lasting threat to your vision).

But since you are on Oreo there is a workaround for that too. It's called the Substratum theme engine. In Nougat or Pie it requires root, but in Oreo you can use an app called Andromeda to enable it on an unrooted device. And there are themes that change the background colours of the notifications, and because you can choose which elements of a theme to use you can change just that if you want. All of this is in the Play Store.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones