• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA Update Starting today?

If someone is on a leased tower (connection), it's possible they might not get the OTA update. How is another thread relevant to getting (or not getting) the OTA?

That, or the fact that only a few thousand will get updated yesterday/today, and there are several hundred thousand scheduled to be updated throughout the week, and its not their turn yet?

Upvote 0
colnago, from above:

If someone is on a leased tower (connection), it's possible they might not get the OTA update. How is another thread relevant to getting (or not getting) the OTA?

for example, if a tower is owned by Podunk Cellular that operates a single tower for a city of 50 people. They could have a carrier agreement in place where they allow VZ data connections.

It's not unpossible that VZ would block this, as the carrier charges could be expensive, since VZ would be renting the bandwidth from that carrier.

Did I really need to spell that out? ;)

Upvote 0
Discuss in another thread because the reason people are not getting the update is already known and if you wanna discuss why or why not it says Verizon on your lock screen go do it somewhere else!

I assure you we will all get the update.

I'm not talking about lockscreens or a carrier name on a lock screen.

I'm talking about OTA accessibility. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Do you even see a single VZW logo in that picture? (edit: beyond which was already there and is only a network location identifier) its not VZW that did anything. Try downloading the SDK direct from Google and poof that new unlock screen is there. Its Google's change. Quit whining about things until you actually at least have an inkling of a clue about that which you're whining!

Read my other posts. Sorry that my dissatisfaction with the look of the lock screen has got everyone's knickers in a bunch. Obvious I should have directed it towards Google for the change. But after all these years I gave Google the benefit of the doubt and not Verizon. (Which one of those two is known for royally messing with cell phone UIs?)

Seriously, this is a forum, it's a place for people to both complain and praise.

I just think the home scree looks like crap. It's no deal breaker. I'm sure I'll still love my droid in the morning, but the curved swipe was slick. The little tab things look like garbage. Why would the even make a change like this in a 0.0.1 point release?

Upvote 0
colnago, from above:

for example, if a tower is owned by Podunk Cellular that operates a single tower for a city of 50 people. They could have a carrier agreement in place where they allow VZ data connections.

It's not unpossible that VZ would block this, as the carrier charges could be expensive, since VZ would be renting the bandwidth from that carrier.

Did I really need to spell that out? ;)

Actually yes, because my point was that having the label or not was a "non-issue" because either way, the "DROID" is still on VZ. The issue wasn't related to "people getting or not getting" the update "wi/o VZ on the phone", but rather if after updating, whether or not VZ was on the phone...at least some of the posts.

Either way, not sure why its an issue.

p.s. - Podunk Cellular has a really good data plan and rates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones