• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OTA updates from forced 2.0.1 and rooting.

Without root, OTA updates should work no problems (and in fact, unless you have disabled OTA while rooted through a certain ROM or perhaps Linux, you'll still be promted to update and lose root <speculation?>).
Rooting procedures will likely change once you update to 2.1, but most accounts have it not taking more than a couple weeks for the source codes to be hacked. With what 2.1 is looking for for Droid, I'd go ahead and root since nearly everything you'll want from 2.1 (plus more) is available from the ROMs out there.

Upvote 0
I have two quick questions.
If I forced the 2.0.1 update, will I still get the OTA Update for 2.1?

And the other, if I upgrade to 2.1, will the rooting procedure still work should I want to?

Yes - you will get the OTA for 2.1 unless you have rooted and you (or the rooting application) has disabled automatic updates by removing the certificate file.

No - the rooting procedure will not work on 2.1 that is currently being used on 2.0.1. It will be some time before an exploit is found to get root access to the phone running Android 2.1. I have no idea how long once Sholes and the like get their fingers on it. It could be hours and it could be weeks.

Upvote 0
These are the times when I wished Phandroid posted the seconds for when posts are put up so we can fight over who posted the (exact) thing first ;)

lol - Well, since your post is listed first, I will concede that you won this battle.

I do think people and the OP should consider reasons why they want to root their phones though. I honestly don't think rooting is for everyone and if you are doing it because it seems cool, you may be disappointed.

If you like to tinker (raises hand) or if there is something that you absolutely can't get without rooting (tethering), then by all means root away!

Upvote 0
lol - Well, since your post is listed first, I will concede that you won this battle.

I do think people and the OP should consider reasons why they want to root their phones though. I honestly don't think rooting is for everyone and if you are doing it because it seems cool, you may be disappointed.

If you like to tinker (raises hand) or if there is something that you absolutely can't get without rooting (tethering), then by all means root away!

I do like tethering, but the whole reason I asked about rooting after 2.1 was because I wanted to see if that would be enough for me.

Upvote 0
I do like tethering, but the whole reason I asked about rooting after 2.1 was because I wanted to see if that would be enough for me.

If you root now prior to the 2.1 ota, there will probably be an updated rom from based on 2.1 within 24 hours of its release. There is a chance that you may be able to get a mod'ed 2.1 rom prior to getting the OTA.

If you don't root now, it will probably take longer to get a mod'ed 2.1 image as someone is going to have to find an exploit to gain root access on 2.1 first.

It's up to you. If you root now, you are probably getting the best of both worlds honestly at the extremely small and unlikely risk of bricking your Droid.

I only mention that rooting really doesn't do that much beyond tethering and CPU frequency control

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones