• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OverWHELMED!!!!

what issue are you having?
what point are you at and where would you like to be?

edit; also, have you looked at the sticky at the top of the all things root section. it is one thread and inside it are a bunch of stickies.

still, of course, willing to try to help you with any questions....just pointing out the sticky location if that helps as well.

Upvote 0
Here is a write up I made for someone else on the forum.

First and foremost you want to make sure you are updated to the most recent version of android, it should be 2.3.340.

Now, you want z4root.Z4Root Will Root the DROID X 2.3.340 Update - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

It is by far the most simple way to root, and you want to get z4 root 1.3.0. You download the application to your computer (leave it zipped up).

Plug your phone into computer, click view files to the popup which will bring you to your sd card, drag z4root file onto your sd card anywhere you want (first thing that pops up when you view files is your sd card). Now disconnect your phone from your computer. In settings-applications check allow apps from unknown sources, and in development check usb debugging (though some day you dont have to).

Now you want to get astro file manager (free works), open it up and find z4root on your sd card where you put it, then install the file from your sd card. Now open up your app drawer and z4root should be there. Note: you can put the file anywhere on your sd card, you can put it in a folder if it will be easier to find.

Once your in z4root click permanent root (there will be an unroot option still). It should take a minute or so then the phone will reboot.This may take two tries, if it gets stuck on

Upvote 0
you came to the right place, these guys are always helpful.
if you have the will; they have the help.

this forum is different then a lot where you catch crap for just asking a question.
the nature of this forum is better, Steven and the regulars here are well natured and helpful.

let us know where you're at and what kind of advice you need and somebody will help you through....:)

This is what I was trying to say!:)

Upvote 0
sounds like you're sitting there watching it too much - just let the backup do its thing

however, make sure you have enough SD card memory for a backup and enough battery for a good 45 minute romp if something goes wrong, or just plug it into the wall during backup/restore time

also, what steps did you follow?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've been around the forum block long enough to know that threads tend to get repeated and that it's generally frowned upon when you don't do your research first... that being said... I'm probably about to commit a no-no but I appreciate anyone willing to take the time to hear me out.

I've had my droid x for about 3 months... and while I'm enjoying the hell out of it i've grown bored.. my boyfriend recently rooted his fascinate and i'm now jealous as hell and ready to make my phone fancy too LOL Here's the thing... the boyfriends a tech-guy... and even though I probably only qualify as a wanna-be geek, I always feel bad asking him to handle my tech stuff for me. So I'm looking for advice on rooting my x and which direction to go with it. The reason I know I'm committing a forum no-no is that I've seen a bunch of posts of people asking for help in rooting their phones... I'm just looking for a little more personalized attention and support in getting there.

Unfortunately I'm one of those girls that has geek tendencies but i'm a little low on geek genes so I know enough to get myself in trouble but not enough to get myself out of it. Make sense?

Anyone out there willing to help me achieve a state of bliss with my phone? :)

~&i

i will get us back on target!!!

ok if you root with z4root, and you get all the required apps you will want to have such as droid x bootstrapper, root explorer, clockwork recovery (both free and paid) and you install Liberty v1.5 (if its stable for you)
and if you want a girly theme, try this
[Release][Theme]*~*Rockin

Reactions: gmenfan83
Upvote 0
Ok, so I finally decided to take the plunge and root my DX. I have never rooted any phone and am completely new to all of this.

I used z4root and everything went very smoothly. I then followed what colchiro suggested:
Here's my recommendations:

• Get rooted.
  • Install recovery.
  • Install rom manager.
  • Install Titanium Backup, open it and press the menu button, select batch and make a backup of "all apps + all data".
  • Open recovery (DroidX bootstrap), tap the top button, should say you were give supervisor permission, followed by success. Tap the second button to go into recovery. Vol up/down button moves cursor, back button goes to previous screen, camera button does what the cursor is highlighted. Select return and press camera button.
  • Open rom manager and create a backup. Call it stock_02-13-2011 (don't use spaces). Make sure the backup completes. Should take a couple minutes. If it reboots right away, it did not work.

After you do all that, you can think about installing Apex. :D

***Which leads me to my first question. Is there any difference between backing up with ROM Manager and backing up with Bootstrapper? I backed up with both and noticed that I can restore using either file in either program.***

After backing everything up, I decided to try out ApeX. Everything went fine and it is up and running, but I do not have any of my apps anymore. I was just about to use Titanium Backup to reinstall all my apps when I stopped because I was thinking if I reinstall all my apps will that not also reinstall the stock apps that I no longer need?

So my question is, do I use Titanium Backup to get my apps back? If so, do I go into Backup/Restore > Menu > Batch > ???????

I am just not sure which batch to run to get my apps back and not reinstall the stock apps.

MD

Upvote 0
Ok, so I finally decided to take the plunge and root my DX. I have never rooted any phone and am completely new to all of this.

I used z4root and everything went very smoothly. I then followed what colchiro suggested:

***Which leads me to my first question. Is there any difference between backing up with ROM Manager and backing up with Bootstrapper? I backed up with both and noticed that I can restore using either file in either program.***

After backing everything up, I decided to try out ApeX. Everything went fine and it is up and running, but I do not have any of my apps anymore. I was just about to use Titanium Backup to reinstall all my apps when I stopped because I was thinking if I reinstall all my apps will that not also reinstall the stock apps that I no longer need?

So my question is, do I use Titanium Backup to get my apps back? If so, do I go into Backup/Restore > Menu > Batch > ???????

I am just not sure which batch to run to get my apps back and not reinstall the stock apps.

MD
ok rom manager and bootrap are essentially the same thing just rom manager has a nice gui to it and goes through the steps for you which you would otherwise be doing manually in bootstrap,,,,,yes you can do the backup/restore in both and load roms in both although i will say that many have reported rom manager to be buggy lately so be careful,,personally i prefer bootstrap
as for your apps after you install a new rom wiping data once you sign into your google account just open the market and all of your apps should auto reinstall through the cloud ,this usually takes about 5 min to complete
you can run a batch restore through tibu if you like but be careful about restoring app data as it can lead to problems,,,i let my apps auto restore then start data fresh and that works for me ,,,,i dont use tibu but some love it ,,,so yes you can essentially do what your asking and also you will notice less overall apps since they are not all included in the rom coming from stock,,,different devs add or take out different apps for their roms

Reactions: MaroonDawg
Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response.

The Market didn't restore all of my apps, so I will use Titanium Backup for that. I will also be sure to only restore the app and not the app data.

Thanks again
you can also not do a batch restore and single restore each app ,it may take 5 min longer but then you have selective control over what you do and dont want restored

Upvote 0
you can also not do a batch restore and single restore each app ,it may take 5 min longer but then you have selective control over what you do and dont want restored

Actually this is what I am doing. After opening TiBu, I looked around a little more and found this was going to be much easier. I had several apps that I never used and this will give me an excuse to not restore them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones