• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Paid Market Apps in Canada

This may sound like a silly question, but now that Paid Apps are here can someone clarify the following for me.

If I buy an app on HTC Magic, do I have to buy the app again if I switch the phone to say the Galaxy Spica?

With Apple iPhone, apparently you don't have to re-purchase the same app. Does it work the same way with Paid Market Apps?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
You should be able to backup the APK file (using Astro for example), and then restore it to your new phone. I don't believe there's any sort of copy protection built into Android.

VERY INTERESTING... then i have a serious question to ask Google.

If you are allowed to download an app and then back it up to the SD <as you can with AppManager or some other app>... then why the hell aren't you giving us native ability to run apps of the SD?

You can do that if you root the phone so we know its already possible.

Some say its for security, some say its for piracy. Really?

If it was for piracy reasons, then how will you stop it if a simple program like AppManager can back up an app to the SD now?

If its for security reasons (as in not to run a virus or some crap) then why is there a Settings>Applications>Unknown Sources option???? You are obviously giving users the right to install something that may #*@^ up your phone already, so it cant be for security reasons!

I would hope someone can explain this little riddle to me.:eek:

Upvote 0
VERY INTERESTING... then i have a serious question to ask Google.

If you are allowed to download an app and then back it up to the SD <as you can with AppManager or some other app>... then why the hell aren't you giving us native ability to run apps of the SD?

You can do that if you root the phone so we know its already possible.

Some say its for security, some say its for piracy. Really?

If it was for piracy reasons, then how will you stop it if a simple program like AppManager can back up an app to the SD now?

If its for security reasons (as in not to run a virus or some crap) then why is there a Settings>Applications>Unknown Sources option???? You are obviously giving users the right to install something that may #*@^ up your phone already, so it cant be for security reasons!

I would hope someone can explain this little riddle to me.:eek:

I'ts up to the author of the app to mark it as private or not. If they do, you can't back it up to the SD. This goes for Free as well as paid apps.

gbd

Upvote 0
I can search for paids apps but can't see them just by scrooling through the market place. Magic owner's do you have the same problem?

By the nature of being free, the paid apps are going to more popular and this at he top of the list. Try selecting by date instead of by popularity and you should see some.

gbd

Reactions: tigrr07
Upvote 0
I just bought betterkeyboard (i need help on other thread) any suggestions as to what paid apps are worth it? i know there are forum sections dedicated to apps, but too much informations there for me. what are the sure values? im looking at spectraview analyzer. the free one is really cool, but pro is a bit expensive at 3.99 euros.. cool toys, technical marvels etc

Upvote 0
I just bought betterkeyboard (i need help on other thread) any suggestions as to what paid apps are worth it? i know there are forum sections dedicated to apps, but too much informations there for me. what are the sure values? im looking at spectraview analyzer. the free one is really cool, but pro is a bit expensive at 3.99 euros.. cool toys, technical marvels etc
There is so many apps there! What are your needs??
just use the search man!

Upvote 0

In this Google would be your friend. Use it wisely ;-)

Upvote 0
Well my problem just got solved thx to this forum. Google would just give the same info as betterAndroid, which i just didt understand (silly me).

GreatBigDog
And for paid app suggestions, i tought that being newly available would make it an interesting part of the Paid Market Apps in Canada thread. since there will probably be many canadians discovering the paid market for the first time. Didnt you get yourself some paid app just for the kick, or one that you were waiting for all this time?

Upvote 0
Well my problem just got solved thx to this forum. Google would just give the same info as betterAndroid, which i just didt understand (silly me).

GreatBigDog
And for paid app suggestions, i tought that being newly available would make it an interesting part of the Paid Market Apps in Canada thread. since there will probably be many canadians discovering the paid market for the first time. Didnt you get yourself some paid app just for the kick, or one that you were waiting for all this time?

When the apps first came online I searched for the one that I was waiting for CoPilot Live 8, it wasn't there and I was quite disappointed. Checked again today and found it no problem, funny thing was that I just selected the search item that I had entered in b4 and this time it was there.

Put out the $29.00 and now I have turn by turn GPS navigation and I don't have to rely on a data connection for it to work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones