• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Pandora on the Moment

Went to the Sprint store and asked about this.

"I don't know what you mean with all this 1.5 and 1.6 and 2.0 things, but you should get used to the static eventually."

When pushed for more info regarding an update:

"I will email some people and cc you (took my email address down) and find out about any updates. I have a Hero so I don't know about the Moment's problems."

Upvote 0
Pandora sounds great as long as I'm in a place with good signal. When I'm at home, where I have 0 bars (we are waiting on an air rave), it's really choppy. When I'm in town it sounds great, but my battery drains very quickly while using it. I want to listen to Pandora in my car, but I think I'm going to need a car charger first.
Buy a USB Charger for the car. You can get a Belkin or Rocket Fish (Linked) from Best Buy for 14.99

Rocketfish™ - USB Vehicle Power Adapter - Black - RF-M357

Then just use your data cable.

Upvote 0
OK. So I did the update and didn't really notice anything wrong til this weekend. We had to take my kids to see their mom this weekend and it is a two hour drive so I use the phone to listen to music. While in town with full bars(EV) I wanted to use pandora. The bass end of the music sounded garbled and really bad. Stop and restart Pandora and the same thing. I was using the headphone jack to an Aux plug in the car. I switched to Music on the pone from the SD card and no issue. I am curious is this the garbled sound others are getting. I used a set of headphones last night and it was the same thing.

Upvote 0
OK. So I did the update and didn't really notice anything wrong til this weekend. We had to take my kids to see their mom this weekend and it is a two hour drive so I use the phone to listen to music. While in town with full bars(EV) I wanted to use pandora. The bass end of the music sounded garbled and really bad. Stop and restart Pandora and the same thing. I was using the headphone jack to an Aux plug in the car. I switched to Music on the pone from the SD card and no issue. I am curious is this the garbled sound others are getting. I used a set of headphones last night and it was the same thing.

Yep, that is what everyone is complaining about. I believe it to be usable if you do not mind poor sound quality....especially bass as you mentioned. Mine will still cut a song off towards the end at random as well as just stop at random. It would be nice if they could get this thing worked out as pandora is da bomb!!!

Upvote 0
I believe the problems with Pandora are associated with the site itself rather than the device. I had similar problems (skipping, weird noises, etc) on the Iphone as well as my blackberry.

I dunno- I've got a G1 too and even in HQ mode via BT A2DP it's rare to get this issue (using the same WiFi network, even). (It does happen, but far, far less regularly than it does on the Moment.)

Do you notice stuttering with the Music app when you're doing other things?

Someone posted an ADB dump of what's going on when playing music, and my wild guess based on that was it's a software issue caused by Samsung picking an audio buffer that seems to be way too small.

Upvote 0
I've had the same problem with Pandora on my Samsung Moment. The phone is new. It has skipped to the next before finishing songs (whether in the middle of a song or near the end is seemingly arbitrary), also it as gotten 'stuck' and repeated the same split second of a song indefinitely, and other similar symptoms.

I noticed it performed slightly better when I connected to a wireless network before running Pandora. The problems still occurred, though.

I also noticed that sometimes, while Pandora is acting up, if I open up the 'Advanced Task Killer Free' I'll see 10 or more applications that have miraculously opened themselves. I shut them all down, Pandora improves slightly. Then, for good measure, I go back to the killer and have to mass close them all again.

Another note: I had the Palm Pre for a week and I could be driving while navigating and playing Pandora and not have any problems. Why is that?

Upvote 0
I dunno- I've got a G1 too and even in HQ mode via BT A2DP it's rare to get this issue (using the same WiFi network, even). (It does happen, but far, far less regularly than it does on the Moment.)

Do you notice stuttering with the Music app when you're doing other things?

Someone posted an ADB dump of what's going on when playing music, and my wild guess based on that was it's a software issue caused by Samsung picking an audio buffer that seems to be way too small.

I disagree, when I had Pandora on my Blackberry, actually the stuttering was worse on it than the Moment; On my MotorolaQ, same thing. On the Iphone, the stuttering was about the same as the Moment. That's why I think the issue is linked to the site more-so than the device itself.

Upvote 0
Then how come Pandora plays perfect on my wife's original Instinct and from my PC.

How come my ringtones crackle?

I have no idea why your ringtones crackle or why Pandora plays perfectly on you wife's Instinct. My ringtones don't crackle on my Moment. Maybe it has something to do with the ringtone files themselves, or it may be your device. I never owned an Instinct so I cannot speak on what I haven't used myself. However, I have previously owned the Motorola Q and the Blackberry curve and out of both of those devices, Pandora was the worst on the Blackberry.

Upvote 0
I have the stutter glitches all the time. This will not be fixed until Samsung releases an update. The problem is in the hardware driver. There is only 1024 byte buffer. That is like 5ms or so, if that. Even your PC will stutter if you set your buffer that low (play with WinAMP buffer lengths).

Even had rooted the device, I can't find a way to fix this short of compiling a new kernel with a new driver, which I can't do until we get a recovery method.

So basically, until we make a custom rom, or Samsung fixes this, we are screwed on the stuttering.

Tunewiki is here stuttering on a WMA and the phone is doing nothing else. (with such a small buffer, any multitasking, such as looking for service, syncing your email, etc will make the sound skip.)

Like I said, play with your winamp buffer settings, then go to the last tab on the DirectSound output panel in winamp, see how insanely fast that # is flying across the screen? The phone is working even faster to keep a constant stream of data playing. Any slowdown and you get the stutter.

That is the explanation for those getting ringtone and notification stutter. As for Pandora, I would just have to go with bad coding. Their software probably doesn't expect the buffer to underrun, and as such, does not know how to handle it, and goes postal. lol.

The buffer length is one of the first things I intend to fix when I am able to make a custom kernel.

Upvote 0
I have the stutter glitches all the time. This will not be fixed until Samsung releases an update. The problem is in the hardware driver. There is only 1024 byte buffer. That is like 5ms or so, if that. Even your PC will stutter if you set your buffer that low (play with WinAMP buffer lengths).

Even had rooted the device, I can't find a way to fix this short of compiling a new kernel with a new driver, which I can't do until we get a recovery method.

So basically, until we make a custom rom, or Samsung fixes this, we are screwed on the stuttering.

Tunewiki is here stuttering on a WMA and the phone is doing nothing else. (with such a small buffer, any multitasking, such as looking for service, syncing your email, etc will make the sound skip.)

Like I said, play with your winamp buffer settings, then go to the last tab on the DirectSound output panel in winamp, see how insanely fast that # is flying across the screen? The phone is working even faster to keep a constant stream of data playing. Any slowdown and you get the stutter.

That is the explanation for those getting ringtone and notification stutter. As for Pandora, I would just have to go with bad coding. Their software probably doesn't expect the buffer to underrun, and as such, does not know how to handle it, and goes postal. lol.

The buffer length is one of the first things I intend to fix when I am able to make a custom kernel.
Now that sounds like a likely root cause for all this. Pandora isn't the only sound problem I've had, other streaming apps have problems too. Even local music is no prize. Since it looks like a buffer problem, perhaps contacting Samsung would be better than bugging Pandora? I would hope that this could be fixed with the 2.0 upgrade.

You'd think that with a strong WiFi signal and 800 MHz processor, this could keep streaming radio. But it doesn't work well.

Upvote 0
Wow, strange. I have no issues whatsoever on my Moment when it comes to Pandora. It plays and sounds great! If it isn't the phone, then WHAT could be causing the random problems??:thinking:
My guess is that the buffer is too small and isn't caching enough to handle syncs and other things that are happening in the background on most systems. You may not be using three different email programs (IMAP, GMail, and Moxier) that all can sync at random intervals. Widgets and other things also can run background processes. People may not see it, but it's often there.
All this doesn't mean that Pandora shouldn't work on these phones. Something needs to be fixed somewhere to make this work. Other phones don't have the issue, even those with much slower processors.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones