• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ParanoidAndroid ROM

Otherwise known as D4 v11.0 :p

I'm a bit torn. beta1 was such a horrendous fail, but my addiction to rom testing is willing me to give it another shot. As long as it's removed the CM9 bootanimation! Edit: Nope, still there!

Edit2: I'm glad I gave it another shot! This is looking very impressive! A few bugs around with the new features, but I'll let some screenshots say it all. It may not be great for you oldies with poor eyesight though (or chubby fingers for that matter!).

So they're bumping up the resolution and making some awesome changes to how Settings are viewed. I can't wait for a good, stable release of this. They already have Themes working, but there are no themes yet.

Upvote 0
guys, how do i install this rom? im currently running the old version which is D4Rom, if im gonna flash this do i need to wipe everything like wipe date, wipe cache,wipe davlik,wipe batt. or just flash it right away without any doing wipe? ty

You could always start by reading the installation instructions that are in the link in post #1.

"Install Rom: Download PARANOIDANDROID zip
Install Gapps: Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps
Wipe caches, factory reset is a must if you're coming from another rom than CM9
Go to CWM -> Advanced -> Fix permissions (VERY IMPORTANT STEP)
"

Upvote 0
Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
ive had a problem installing this, maybe you can help me, i really wanna give it a go:

i tried installing it like i would any rom - put the files on my phone, and flashed in CWM recovery, in the order the instructions on xda said to do it, didnt miss any step, and then when i reboot, it shows the galaxy s 2 symbol, with the yellow triangle, and then the screen would be blank, i left it like that for 15 mins, didnt change. tried again, same results.

any tips? Thx

Upvote 0
Sounds like it didnt flash.
Was the flash very quick?
Trouble is, the script doesnt show any progress messages. Try doing your wipes, then rebooting again back into CWM recovery then flash the zip on its own.
If still no joy, try downloading the zip again.

I guess it will be incorporated in Aurora soon. I have to say, this is a cracking bit of installation software.

Bottom line with this ROM, brilliant tho it is and offering huge technological steps in the way we interact with our phone, it just doesnt work on a GS2 in my opinion. Perhaps on a Note yes, but not a GS2 I'm afraid. The dev has even said that the subsequent builds will have the ROM in standard phone mode as default, so reading between the lines, I think he probably thinks the same way too.

Upvote 0
Bottom line with this ROM, brilliant tho it is and offering huge technological steps in the way we interact with our phone, it just doesnt work on a GS2 in my opinion. Perhaps on a Note yes, but not a GS2 I'm afraid. The dev has even said that the subsequent builds will have the ROM in standard phone mode as default, so reading between the lines, I think he probably thinks the same way too.

Did you try turning off Tablet mode? I found it a lot less buggy after that :D

Upvote 0
v0.3 is out:)

v0.3
Kanged from source, 7:54pm COT. All features included (even the ones that are on CM9 changelog but not on latest nightly)
PAD Settings panel. Now you dont need to edit /system/pad.prop, panel does it for you
Now when you switch to tablet mode, all the non-tablet mode features get disabled
Removed WP7 like layout. Nobody used it, and was a pain in the ass for me.
Fixed those ugly crashes. Stability is back!
Fixed Theme Engine. yay!
Fixed Only text battery style on tab mode. Increased font size.
Fixed lockscreen recent apps panel overlay
Fixed trebuchet persistent app window icon
Fixed sense recent apps, Now with reflections
Fixed other general issues

famous last words, will give it a flash later when their server probs have settled.

Upvote 0
Tempted to try this but will wait until people report back on its stability. Avoided the betas so i'm still on v10.

the first beta was supposed to be a FC festival (never tried it), although it got better with the second outing (less FC's), the latest 0.3 is supposed to be pretty decent and good for a daily driver. am doing a nandroid as i type and am gonna have a quick flash to see what all the tablet/dpi fuss is about ;)

edit: not for me. changing dpi is prob great for peeps with 20/20 vision, but my old lamps have bother reading the small print, so have decided to avoid. will prob be loved by some people, but honestly think this is too small/cramped for a humble phone. no disrespect to the devs, its pretty ingenious, might be better served on summat like an s3 with a larger screen.

as for the rom itself, basically the same as d4 v10, the theme engine is there, couldn't see any new themes though other than the default. had an initial FC when opening the PAD list to change individual app dpi, but it does appear to do what it says on the tin. the apps list in PAD is a bit fiddly and somewhat hard to navigate at first, as the apps are laid out by their framework name (com.facebook.summat etc), but not a big deal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones