• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Password-protected Lock Screen?

gordonwd

Jun 16, 2010
For the first time, I've set a password on my lock screen, but find that in general it's a PITA to have to key it in all the time. I guess I could go to the pattern method, but it's still extra stuff to do every time I pull my phone out.

So how necessary is it to have this level of security? My really sensitive info is in an app that has its own encryption and p/w, so that's safe, but anyone finding or stealing my phone would have access to all my online accounts: email, Google, Evernote, Facebook, etc.

So how bad would that really be? Anyone have experience or opinions on what level of protection is "enough" and how much hassle it would be if your smartphone winds up in the wrong hands? And how likely is that, anyway?

Its mainly needed. I didn't have I on for a while but to my phone has some important items on it like Gmail and Facebook sure its annoying to go into when you check your notifications. But you can set up how long it stays unlocked. I choose the pattern over the pin it was much faster to get into then the pin. I would put it on just case your phone is ever lost or stolen.

Upvote 0
I've been trying to find an option like this but so far no luck on either my Froyo or Gingerbread phones. Any idea where to find it?

Well on my HTC MT4GS which uses sense when I set up to use a password or pattern or whatever an option appears underneath where you set how you want to lock your phone that says "lock phone after" and has a few options from a drop down so maybe there is something like that in the options?

Upvote 0
Try lockscreen settings, delay and timeout, screen timeout delay.

That's with an AOSP Gingerbread ROM.
I tried looking for it on my Samsung Nexus S (which, I would think, is as stock as it gets) and only found "Screen timeout" under "Display settings" and that only controls how long before the screen turns off. Under "Location & security settings" -> "Screen unlock", I only have 2 options: "Change screen lock" and "Use tactile feedback".

Also checked on my Nook Color with CM7 and found it under CyanogenMod settings so I'm guessing it doesn't come stock on Android 2.3 and lower. No idea if stock ICS has it. The only devices I have with ICS are running CM9 which does come with this option.

Well on my HTC MT4GS which uses sense when I set up to use a password or pattern or whatever an option appears underneath where you set how you want to lock your phone that says "lock phone after" and has a few options from a drop down so maybe there is something like that in the options?
Haven't found it on any of my Froyo/Gingerbread Android devices (Nexus S, Galaxy S 4G, LG Thrive, Xperia Ray, Nook Color [CM7], etc).

Found this bit of info:
So you want to use Android's built-in security -- either the pattern, pin or password lock. Good for you. We highly recommend it. But maybe you don't want it to lock every time you hit the power button. (Can't blame you there.)

Go to Settings>Security>Lock phone after and you'll have options as for how much time you want to pass before you have to unlock the phone. If you're going to be picking it up every couple minutes, perhaps "Immediately" isn't the best choice. But even 15 minutes is better than no security, right?

This option isn't available on all phones, but HTC Sense does have it, as do some newer TouchWiz devices.

Upvote 0
I down loaded this app and like it a lot

eoTDAloVVVz44S3c4FRMm9w1iPtp4dH5n40Eh2hAKfFhtCdNJfId7vKQkWxjlv4XDv0=w705

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones