• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Gday Cheryl,
I tried but it won't run my WD 640g 2.5" external drive; it powers it but no spinning. Probably can't output the power required.

To set the Pendo up, go to Settings and in USB Mode Select, set the Host Mode to On (ticked). It allows you to connect Mouse, keyboard etc. I believe that you have to be out of Host mode to use Dodo external modem. Also, when not in Host mode, you can access the SD card directly from Windows Explorer.

Drop some VOBs onto it and see if it'll play them; it definitely plays H264 MP4s so in the worst case just convert your DVDs to 600kb/sec MP4s (about 300mb per movie). You'll get a few on a 8gb card (that's what mine is); it may take bigger.

Reactions: cheryl.k
Upvote 0
Hi

Thanks for the tip. I worked out that if I go to the explorer file I can also access the SD card and the USB port but can't see the hard drive. Damn! I am not a computer wizz so this may seem dumb to you but how do i convert DVD's to MP4's....obviously a software is needed so which one do you recommend?

Also, I have been reading that there are a lot of issues about not being able to use skype...this is the main reason I got the pad so I can keep in contact while I am OS. Do you think there is any chance that Skype or Pendo will do upgrades?

While I have your attention, do you know if you can use any other wireless modem other than DoDo? I have tried my optus modem but...guess what? doesn't work. I thought maybe it was about getting the settings right?

Upvote 0
Cheryl,
but how do i convert DVD's to MP4's....obviously a software is needed so which one do you recommend?
You'll have to trawl the net. I use VideoRedo and my video editor, Movie Edit Pro, but both of those are paid programs. I have yet to find a freebee that will convert a DVD to a MP4 or Divx in one go.

Do you think there is any chance that Skype or Pendo will do upgrades?
Don't know. On the Whirlpool forum, one of the Dodo techs said it was unlikely that the Pendo would be upgraded to Android 2.2, which runs Skype, apparently. Somebody else said that Skype worked if you went to the Skype website and started your session that way. Worth a try.

do you know if you can use any other wireless modem other than Dodo?
I don't think so. I have an older Dodo 3G modem (this Pendo one is a replacement for it) and the the older one won't work in the Pendo. I don't know whether it's a case of the Pendo not having drivers for the other modems or whether it is locked to Dodo. You could try putting your Optus SIM card in the Dodo modem (the back slips off in the direction of the arrows).

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks so much for the info, however, unfortunately my pendo died and now I have to return it to DoDo!! :mad: Don't know what happened...just turned itself off and won't turn back on. Thinking of getting a better quality one as I think I would get lots of use out of it.....especially travelling. Anyway, wen I get the replacement I will take your advice. THANX!! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones