• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

People records with no names

avmad

Lurker
Feb 2, 2011
Hi all,

I have recently moved from Nokia 5800 to my lovely new Desire. During the initial install / config process, the Desire asks if I want to import my contacts from my old device (via bluetooth in my case).

I did import my old device contacts plus I also allowed the Desire to link various other accounts such as Facebook, Google and yahoo.

So what's the problem?

It seems that many of my contacts are companies and hence have no "person" first or second name. These records show in the Desire as simply "Unname". If you open any of the records, you can see the company name, phone numbers and other records.

How can I get all these records to not be displayed as "Unname" (i.e. get the company names into a single integrated list with the person names?

Thanks all!

Avmad

What do these contacts look like from the Google GMail application? It may be that the import has given all these company contacts a display name of 'unname'.

If so, you should see this in the Gmail contacts view and from there you can remove the name.

Another thing to try, and to prove that the import was 'bad', is to create a contact on your phone with only a company name and see what that looks like.

Reactions: avmad
Upvote 0
Hi SoftWyer - You were right on both counts!

It looks like "something" inserted the "Unnamed" text into the First Name field during transfer, because I don't see that text appearing in google or yahoo contacts at present (or on my old phone contact list).

Anyway, it looks like I must simply go to each of those contacts and take out the Unnamed text and all is then well and the Company / Organisation name will be listed alphabetically as expected.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones