• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Perpetually running apps

SCLakerFan

Apr 28, 2013
Good Morning, All....Well, this is day 3 of owning a smartphone (my Kyocera Event) and I have two questions this morning:

1. There are several apps that have been continually running since I turned my phone on yesterday (after having powered it off while charging it the night before). They are: Settings, DMService, Android System, Kyocera Update Tool, Google Services, Connections Optimizer, Media, Mobile ID, Swype (which I don't think I am using), Voicemail Manager, and Voicemail -- most have 1 process and 1 service running. These constantly running apps are using 193MB of RAM, leaving 167MB of RAM available. Will these apps be running forever?? Can I close or stop any of them? I don't plan on using Swype, but it is also not burning up many MBs of RAM.

2. When I get my memory card, I know I have to take the battery out and reinstall it. I would assume the steps are to TURN PHONE OFF, TAKE OUT BATTERY, INSTALL MEMORY CARD, REINSTALL BATTERY, TURN PHONE ON. My real question is will I lose my contacts, installed apps, photos, etc.? I pray not.

As always I thank whomever might respond to this rather lengthy post. Oh, and regarding "rooting", I don't think I am quite ready to be a Superuser yet.....maybe someday. Thanks for pointing it out, though.

1. The best thing you can do for your phone is to avoid worrying about running apps, Android does the housework for you. I wrote an article here on AF that will help you understand a lot about apps: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/335110-why-you-dont-need-task-killer.html. Android is a Linux-based operating system. And, in Linux, unused RAM is wasted RAM.

2. You shouldn't lose anything by simply turning the phone off, and back on - that's essentially what you'd be doing in your case.

Upvote 0
Thanks Ardchoille.....I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my post. I realize some of these newbie questions can get tedious for experienced users, but from my standpoint anyway, the advice of those like yourself is very helpful.

You're welcome :)

Not at all, questions are the only way we learn.. and everyone who uses android was "new" at one time. I went from the Sidekick LX to the htc G1 and can still remember being both amazed and overwhelmed at the same time.

You're in the right place, these forums are the best in the android world :)

Upvote 0
I've had the same problem. I found it helpful to use a good system control app.
I have SystemPanel/ Task Killer Pro by NextApp on Google Play. The free version is good but I like the extra features with the pro. This app runs with stock non-rooted, stock rooted, and all custom roms. (I've had it running on four different phones running more than a dozen different roms!) The task killer feature (it's a white list feature) allows you to decide what needs to be exempted. I exempt SystemUI, Superuser (if rooted) All clock widgets, Settings, and my launcher. It won't kill ANY needed critical system apps by default. It also allows you to see how the memory is doing, plus logging battery charge cycle & temps. It will help you see how your phone is doing without taking over!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones