• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone book app

Hi,

I am a newbie here. I had bought my first android ( HTC Desire S) a few months back. I have two questions.

1. Why doesnt the built in phonebook app rotate? Its very difficult to key in new names or add contacts in vertical mode. Is this a common issue or only my phone?

2. When you search a name you dont get the organisation of the person next to it even though you have fed it. No details show up next to the name unlike the Blackberry I was using. What I mean is if there are 3 Tom Jones fed in, but are working with different companies, I have no way of knowing who is who. All the three Toms will show up when you type TOM with the no: below. I have to long press and then click view details to know who is who. Any solutions to this or any app which shows details ?

Hi,
1. Why doesnt the built in phonebook app rotate? Its very difficult to key in new names or add contacts in vertical mode. Is this a common issue or only my phone?

On Android 2.2 (Froyo) and 2.3 (Gingerbread), when in the contact list, you press Options/Menu and then 'New Contact' to feed in a new one.
I don't understand what you mean by 'rotating the phonebook'.

2. When you search a name you dont get the organisation of the person next to it even though you have fed it. No details show up next to the name unlike the Blackberry I was using. What I mean is if there are 3 Tom Jones fed in, but are working with different companies, I have no way of knowing who is who. All the three Toms will show up when you type TOM with the no: below. I have to long press and then click view details to know who is who. Any solutions to this or any app which shows details ?

I add the name of their company to their first names. Like: "Tom (IBM)", "Tom (Citibank)", and "Tom (WalMart)".
People who have more than one phone number get a separate contact list record for every number, with their first name and a number. Like: "Tom1", "Tom2", and "Tom3".
So in the case of your Tom Jones there can be records in your contact list like "Tom3 (IBM)". If you want to know more details you can of course long press the name and select "Show details".

Reactions: vnsk
Upvote 0
Thanks. Guess I will do the way you suggested.

When I meant "rotate", its when you hold the phone in the landscape mode. When you are in phone book and want to add the new names, when you hold the phone in landscape mode the screen stays in the portrait mode.

When you compose email or sms, you can type in landscape and its convenient, casue the keys are larger.:(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones