• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

phone call recorder

Call recording has been written in to a popular kernel for the HTC thunderbolt. Just bought and rooted my thunderbolt yesterday and was elated to find this function. You will need to install one of the many available ROMs with this kernel.
I've been using it for a day now with crystal quality on both sides, INCLUDING bluetooth conversations.

Upvote 0
Call recording has been written in to a popular kernel for the HTC thunderbolt. Just bought and rooted my thunderbolt yesterday and was elated to find this function. You will need to install one of the many available ROMs with this kernel.
I've been using it for a day now with crystal quality on both sides, INCLUDING bluetooth conversations.
so for the rest of us non-bamf peeps......

Upvote 0
I would imagine it is disabled because it is illegal to record the call unless the other party consents and the great majority of people who use this WON"T be asking for consent before recording a convo. It is a serious charge to do this, my old boss almost got sent to prison for doing it about a year ago.

That is incorrect. In the US, recording a call is legal if at least one of the parties involved in the call are aware they are being recorded; even if the aware member of the party is the one doing the recording.

EDIT: Federal Law in the united states requires only the consent of 1 party of the conversation for recording to be illegal. While most states have adopted laws similar to that of the federal law, 12 states have restricted it to "all parties" in most circumstances. Those states are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. END EDIT

That means you can record all calls you take part in, without consent from any other party on the call. However, you cannot record other parties speaking to each other if you are not on that call (ie wiretapping).

I had Call Recording apps on my Windows Mobile HTC Touch Pro. However, they only got both ends of the conversation if you had the speakerphone activated as they could not access the voice coming across the internal earpiece. It was ok, but normally a pain to have to use the speakerphone. It was a hardware limitation of the Touch PRO.

I imagine it's a similar issue with some of the Android phones and believe that I recall reading such accounts across various forums.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Hi
Is there a way to record phone calls on the Droid?
Or do/can you use a market app for this? I searched "call recorder" in the market & there wasn't much and reviews were not great. Anyone know of any other ways?
Thanks

Hey, I found this a couple days ago....they're on twitter. You may want to check them out.
RecordiaPro Thanks for following! Record any call on any phone without the need for hardware or software Recordiapro- Record Phone Calls. Record Cell Phone Conversations. Call Recording

Upvote 0
Quite to the contrary, it is not illegal to record phone calls. Its is commonly miss con-sieved with whats called wire tapping.

Recording conversations is common and legal, and does not require you notifying other parties.

Wire tapping is illegal, and is very secretive. In this day an age, one can assume the person they are talking to could record.

But for a third person secretly recording a conversation its different.

I would imagine it is disabled because it is illegal to record the call unless the other party consents and the great majority of people who use this WON"T be asking for consent before recording a convo. It is a serious charge to do this, my old boss almost got sent to prison for doing it about a year ago.

Upvote 0
It is a federal felony to record someone without informing them. It is called wiretapping. Thats why when businesses call you or you call them, they have to say "this call is being recorded for quality and training purposes". I know this because a MA state trooper tried charging me with it, but if they had listened to the recording, I said many times to the officer that I was recording him being a d*ck to me. So it was thrown out in court. I didn't know that it was illegal at the time of doing so, so I am glad I said I was recording him, otherwise I would have been screwed! It is not taken lightly either in court for wiretapping!

Upvote 0
Hi
Is there a way to record phone calls on the Droid?
Or do/can you use a market app for this? I searched "call recorder" in the market & there wasn't much and reviews were not great. Anyone know of any other ways?
Thanks

when you receive or make a call go back to your main screen and I have the "voice recorder" set up on my main screen, you have to have the phone on speaker while talking and go to voice record, add recording and record conversation. when finished make sure to save the conversation. I just tried this with my Thunderbolt and it works perfectly just make sure your volume is all the way up so u can hear both ends easily. You can test this with a friend before you have to use it. Now I am calling Verizon to let them know how to do this and the best part is there is no charge, I just make sure to say the persons name as much as possible during conversation. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
hey! nice thread. though it opened 3 years ago and still keep on going, meaning some of us still looking for a good call recorder...

I probably used most of the apps that exists. from DROID to record my calls.
I can actually say that the best one, is the NG Call Recorder.

thing is, most of the apps are alike. but NG just suits all phones. all versions. liked it.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
Seriously, I have a traumatic brain injury and to be honest I forgot what I ate this morning. just got the evo and this kind of app is a must for me as I used to have touch pro2 with an app called Auto Call Recorder installed on that and it was great. Also, I would really love to see an app that records both sides decently. I would gladly pay for it as well.

I too have had a t.b.i.,and would really like to have an app. that would record both sides of the conversation.i have an x2,any help would be appreciated.even another decent phone suggestion? p.m. me if possible??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones