• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone charging slowly - cannot connect to PC - faulty connector?

Martyn27

Lurker
Oct 24, 2016
I noticed the other day my phone is charging at 1/5 the speed it used to. I used to get fast charging but for some reason a full charge normally takes 4-5 hours. I tried different wires/sockets and still no joy. I have double checked to make sure fast charging is enabled too.

I contacted 3 today and went through their usually steps and no joy - they then asked me to finally do a factory reset to check if this fixes the problem. I attempted to connect my phone to my PC (windows 10) to backup my data and got the error "USB device not recognised". I had a look in devices and it says that Device Descriptor Request Failed "Windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems (Code 43). I attempted on another PC and it does not connect to that either - so I think it is a phone fault.

Are these two likely connected? Does it appear that my USB port is faulty? I dont want to do a factory reset if it is not likely to help - I have googled around trying to fix this for a while and no joy.

I've noticed the same exact thing. After the last update, suddenly charging via USB is close to worthless. Since battery life is already suspect, I would carry a portable charger with me. I could always charge on that device and use the phone, and gain power steadily. Now under the same circumstances, I get a "device charging slower than..." error. On a recent trip I even put the phone in airplane mode and charged via a USB port in the car... after an hour had only gained 4%. Something is definitely going on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones