• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone discharges even when charger is plugged in

Help!

Even when my charger is plugged into the wall at home, the battery discharges. It gives me messages like "Battery low" or "Battery critically low" and tells me to plug in the charger--when it is already plugged in!

I've tried it in nearly every outlet in my apt. that was not dedicated to something else. Even bought a power strip but that didn't work at all. I've tried different chargers.

The only place where the battery consistently charges is the office - but what am I going to do - spend 6 hours or more in the office every calendar day? Sometimes it charges in restaurants, sometimes not.

What am I going to do, other than live phoneless?

On the face of it, it looks like your battery has given up the ghost. When this happens it can behave inconsistently, sometimes taking a small charge and mostly not. You can get an inexpensive replacement on Amazon.com. I just had to replace my battery and local stores wanted up to $40 for it! I got he original battery on-line for $12.

Upvote 0
It's not just the phone and it's not just the battery.

Item: I recently bough a new battery, so I had 2 batteries. I couldn't tell them apart, but one died completely, so the one I just bought must have died completely when it was brand new, or else has charging troubles everywhere but at the office and the Park Caf

Upvote 0
Quite a mystery!

Well with most situations the only way to get to the bottom of things is to do repeated testing while changing only one variable at a time. This can take patience and time, but it's the only way to narrow things down.

If it were me, I'd start by labeling all my batteries with a felt marker and test them individually always with the same charger and in the same location. Repeat with different charger same location. Then do everything again at another location, and so on.

I doubt that the location is the problem unless there are serious electrical deficiencies. Chargers generally filter any small variances of input voltage and frequency and provide a uniform output.

Questions to ask oneself: Are my chargers the ones recommended for the phone or have I substituted cheaper versions? Ditto for the batteries. Have I ever charged these batteries with a charger whose output isn't within the recommended range? When I got a new battery, did I contain my enthusiasm and fully charge it before use?

Of course it's not impossible that your replacement battery was also defective. That can happen too. Anyway I hope you get to the bottom of the problem before too long. Have you taken the phone to the store to the store where you bought it to have them look at it?

Best of luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones