• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help phone is plugged in but not charging. light is on

DaGoTTi

Jul 16, 2010
for the past 2 days while charging the phone, i notcied that the battery level is not charging up. the light is on, the phone says it is charging, but the battery level is not increasing. it is actually dropping while plugged in.

when this first happened, i left the phone plugged in overnight and when i woke up, there was a prompt on the screen saying the phone had receovered from some error and asked me to send the error log to google. i sent it.

but right now its doing the same thing. the phone is plugged in, light is on, it says its charging, but its not.

anyone duplicating this problem? i am most likely taking it to sprint tomorrow for this.

Reactions: marctronixx
I remember a few members having problems with their battery terminals, and the phones design. I think the end solution was to wedge something into the bottom of where the battery sits to create more contact between the battery terminals and those on the phone.

Ill try to dig up a thread for you to have a look at, and anyone else if they remember this feel free to speak up as this may be a completely different story.

Upvote 0
I remember a few members having problems with their battery terminals, and the phones design. I think the end solution was to wedge something into the bottom of where the battery sits to create more contact between the battery terminals and those on the phone.

Ill try to dig up a thread for you to have a look at, and anyone else if they remember this feel free to speak up as this may be a completely different story.

No, you are correct. While I personally have not had this issue I recall seeing the same thread and people reported the fix you mentioned worked for them.

Upvote 0
OP,

have you done anything prior to this? added any battery apps? deleted something?

are you rooted?

have you removed the battery? if not, leave it out for 2 minutes, the re install and check behavior.

also try a soft reset from the shutdown screen.

you can also head into a sprint store, be advised they may end up doing a factory reset so make sure you are prepared.

Upvote 0
no nothing different was done. i was just noticing the battery not charging even tho plugged in.

i have removed the battery and reinserted it after time and same issue

if they want to do the hard reset on the phone, im going to tell them that is not good enough for me, the phone is defective and i want a replacement. its happened to me before when i was using the palm treo windows models, and they did resets for a battery issue, then a few days later the usb connector on the phone broke and they didnt want to replace the phone because of the hardware damage. i rather just get rid of the thing and get another one.

Upvote 0
Sprint will perform a factory reset. if the issue is fixed by a reset then that is a good thing.

Android (as well as other OS'es) will sometime have glitches. this could just be a glitch that a reset will cure.

iif that does not do it, a battery swap and/or a new handset would be in order as it would seem its physical in nature.

keep us udated.

Upvote 0
Just to throw in 2 more pennies, make sure you are using a reliable charger and cable. HTC phones are sometimes finnicky about the cable and wall adapter that you are using. A number of people have had issues with third party charging accessories. Use the provided charger and cable when possible. You could maybe try charging via a computers USB port just to see if that is any different than a wall socket.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones