• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone is sssssllllllooooooowwwww!

Android Version: 2.3.3
Network: Vodafone
Taskiller Used?: No
[Optional]Are You rooted & which Rom: Rooted and have Cyanogen Mod 7.0.3-Desire installed
Issue: Phone is very sluggish, apps hanging for e.g. 10 seconds before responding

I have s2e installed and have a 1GB (I think) EXT4 partition on my class 10 16GB micro SD card.

I have just had my handset replaced because the speaker stopped working. I have just rooted it using Revolutionary and after installing CM7 and set s2e to move everything to the SD card apart from dalvik cache. I have restored my text messages plus I used Titanium backup to restore my apps (not all).

So after doing all of the above I notice my phone is very sluggish.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be? Do I need to just start again and install a new ROM on it?

I wiped the phone and flashed the most recent stable CM7. before I had to put my phone in for repair it had become quite buggy and unstable, and I had taken a Titanium backup of all my apps. I had restored most of my apps from this Titanium backup, including some with system data - probably a bad idea since it was so buggy. Anyway on this occasion I have just installed apps afresh from the Play store - all seems good so far - I was testing the speed of the phone at each step in case some app was causing a problem. I managed to restore my texts using a separate backup program that backs them up as an XML file.

So I think the moral of the story is not to bother restoring from Titanium backup if the backup was from a build with problems!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I spoke too soon! The phone got a bit slow again, although not as bad as before, and even restoring from my pristine Nandroid backup hasn't improved things.

Life is too short to invest more time trying out other ROMs and tring to re-partition the SD card, trying Dark Tremor etc! My network offered me a Galaxy S2 for

Upvote 0
We're seeing a surprising number of new Desire owners here (others selling on?), so that's not a bad plan. The SGS2 is a good device.

I'm really unsure what would command a better price. I'd have thought myself that since there is no warranty anyway (main drawback of rooting) and root gives you extra options a rooted phone would be better (more options without the hassle of rooting yourself), but you may need to explain that in the ad.

As I keep a museum of my old handsets (to threaten my kids with if they lose theirs!) I've no experience of selling on ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones