• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone is Useless when the Phone Goes Silent Multiple Times a Week

This just happened to me on my Incredible today for the first time. A friend called me and I could hear him, but he could not hear me. He called me back, this time no audio at all. He called me from 2 other phones, the other phones not in my contact list, still no audio at all. I rebooted the phone and it is working fine now. We will see where this goes... scary as I do not have an Eris...

Upvote 0
Not the most scientific of tests so far, but from another thread, there was someone who disabled the clock/weather widget, and it fixed a myriad (sort of like a plethora) of issues, including the silent bug. I took that widget off a week ago, and have yet to have experienced the silent bug again. Dunno if it goes anywhere, but just another thing to try until we get 2.2 :-\

Upvote 0
What's the experience so far of users of Cyanogen-based ROMs and the silent-call issue ? I wish I could report my experience since switching to a Cyanogen-based ROM but I've had issues with the camera app requiring a reboot and in my opinion, a reboot re-starts the "timer" in regards to the silent-call bug.

cyanogen never game those problems, but the proximity sensor doesnt work in that rom so i didnt like it for that sole reason.

the eris is a pos.

Upvote 0
cyanogen never game those problems, but the proximity sensor doesnt work in that rom so i didnt like it for that sole reason.

the eris is a pos.

Earlier we suspected that a problematic proximity sensor might trigger the silent bug (because of reports that pulling your face away during calls triggered it), so perhaps that's why the CM ROM you used didn't have the issue.

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with tech support, they are no longer authorized to give out replacement phones as now they believe every single droid phone is at risk. There is no fix, the guy gave me some corporate response bs. I plainly told the guy I will not deal with this problem any longer and asked what he will do to make it right. I am getting a call in 24 hrs by someone higher on the food chain to see what they will do to remedy this. I love my droid but this is infuriating me to the point I am almost done with it. Way to go verizon!

I also got off the phone with the tech support. They are sending me a refurb. (Silent bug). It seems to me it depends on the person you talk to.

I was also told that the update (by google) is being worked on and we can expect it in about a week. I am not sure I believe it.
Peter

Upvote 0
This just happened to me on my Incredible today for the first time. A friend called me and I could hear him, but he could not hear me. He called me back, this time no audio at all. He called me from 2 other phones, the other phones not in my contact list, still no audio at all. I rebooted the phone and it is working fine now. We will see where this goes... scary as I do not have an Eris...

The tech person I talked to said that they have reports from both the Incredible and the Droid users complaining about the silent bug....
Peter

Upvote 0
I was told by a VZW store manager that 2.2(i know i know, what do they know:rolleyes:) will have the fix for the silent bug. Of course, even if it's true, she had no idea of an ETA for this.

I guess we'll see...

Just got my OTA update (that I wasn't expecting.) I never had this issue. However, hopefully the update today (or yesterday) fixes this bug as that seems to be the goal.

So eris is getting froyo? Really? Has anyone else heard that? (yeah yeah, I'll go search the forum now.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones