• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone keeps freezing and rebooting

I will try to describe the issue here so that if someone had a similar problem can share their experience or help.

A few days ago, my Android phone started freezing and rebooting for no apparent reason. After each restart, only takes a few seconds while it is responsive to freeze again, not respond anymore and some seconds later reboots. It doesn't get out of this cycle.

I did a factory reset, which helped, it seemed to operate much faster and didn't freeze/reboot anymore. I was wondering what is causing the issue. I turned on wi-fi, entered wi-fi password, it connected to the internet.

Being connected to the internet doesn't seem to cause the issue, as I left it on, connected through wi-fi during a whole day, no problems happened.

Just some minutes ago, I decided to try adding my Google account again. As soon as I added my Google account, it went right back to the constant freeze/reboot cycle, so I'm thinking it's the Google account that causes the problem, why, I don't know. How to fix?

I just noticed on my Gmail that Google has a new feature, Google Meet, this way I know they are introducing new services and changes. What could be the explanation and solution to my phone's problem? Any input would be appreciated.

O.S. is Jellybean 4.1.1.

I will try to describe the issue here so that if someone had a similar problem can share their experience or help.

A few days ago, my Android phone started freezing and rebooting for no apparent reason. After each restart, only takes a few seconds while it is responsive to freeze again, not respond anymore and some seconds later reboots. It doesn't get out of this cycle.

I did a factory reset, which helped, it seemed to operate much faster and didn't freeze/reboot anymore. I was wondering what is causing the issue. I turned on wi-fi, entered wi-fi password, it connected to the internet.

Being connected to the internet doesn't seem to cause the issue, as I left it on, connected through wi-fi during a whole day, no problems happened.

Just some minutes ago, I decided to try adding my Google account again. As soon as I added my Google account, it went right back to the constant freeze/reboot cycle, so I'm thinking it's the Google account that causes the problem, why, I don't know. How to fix?

I just noticed on my Gmail that Google has a new feature, Google Meet, this way I know they are introducing new services and changes. What could be the explanation and solution to my phone's problem? Any input would be appreciated.

O.S. is Jellybean 4.1.1.

I suggest you do another factory reset and immediately go to Google PS and disable auto update in the setting. My device is one year newer but it has 3Gb's of ram while your only has 1Gb of ram. Its possible the updates are either incompatible or just to much data for your phone to handle. If that doesn't work you may have to give of Google altogether.

Upvote 0
I tend to agree with @ocnbrze You're using a very dated phone running a long unsupported version of Android.
https://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_one_touch_idol-5230.php
You need to take into account that running such a dated device is going to have unavoidable problems when interacting with today's online services, plus there's an increased vulnerability when it comes to your privacy and this phone's security.

Upvote 0
well for one your phone is over 7 years old!!!!!! i'm surprised it even works. anything new as far as apps and google products can have issues with a phone on a much older os. i would start looking for a new device soon if i were you.

Alcatel OneTouch Idol is not my main phone, I have more phones. I was just curious about what caused the problems because for years it has been working fine with my Google account and only a few days ago, suddenly started having the issues I described.

I suggest you do another factory reset and immediately go to Google PS and disable auto update in the setting. My device is one year newer but it has 3Gb's of ram while your only has 1Gb of ram. Its possible the updates are either incompatible or just to much data for your phone to handle. If that doesn't work you may have to give of Google altogether.

That is a good suggestion. I did what you suggested and other tests, many factory resets to try and isolate the problem. I'll share my findings here, in case someone else comes across a similar issue, it could be helpful for everyone to share our ideas and experiences.

Like you said, after adding my Google account, I went as quickly as possible (before the freeze) to Google Play settings and disabled auto-update for apps. Then, I went to my Google account, where I noticed it was giving a sync error, why I don't know. I disabled (unticked) each one of the several boxes like sync contacts, calendar, etc.

The phone still has many Google services related apps installed. It started to become sluggish until it froze again, back to the endless freeze/reboot cycle. Close but no cigar. It was time to say goodbye to Google's Big Brother eye spying on my phone.

I'm convinced the issue happens due to something related to Google, I wasn't able to find out exactly which part of Google is causing the incompatibility with Jellybean 4.1.1. It would be interesting if someone else found out more about this, out of curiosity.

This time, I didn't add my Google account. I disabled every app I found related to Google, disabled Google location. Instead of Google Play, I installed Amazon Appstore, then I installed Facebook Lite and Facebook Messenger, it's been working great for hours, the operating system is even performing much faster than before with Google.

Thanks all for the replies, the problem seems solved for now, without Google. God bless you Amazon lol. Alcatel OneTouch Idol 7 years old and still going strong <3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones