• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Recommendation?

radjxf

Dec 1, 2011
Hey Guys. I currently have a Galaxy S3 (Verizon) running 4.4.2 KitKat. Will be able to get a new phone soon with Verizon. I need some recommendations. My co-workers and Verizon store push iPhones, I have no interest in an iPhone! Here are a list of wants:

• Better battery life (than my old S3).
  • Fast processing, basic robust and smooth user interface.
  • Water proof without a case a plus, but not a deal-breaker.
  • Something that can "lock onto" to a phone signal and data. (The old S3 is constantly going from 3G to 4G to dropping connections and calls, etc.) This is exacerbated by the fact that I live in the Land That Time Forgot, aka Montana.
  • No larger than approx 5.1" screen.
  • Phone will be used for net surfing, emails, texts, calls in that order.
  • Good (not necessarily great) camera.
  • I'm 43, so not a young superuser, so phone does not need every bell and whistle, however I do enjoy end user tweaks and personalizations. Just won't be rooting, etc.
Many thanks in advance for any recommendations you can provide.

Moto X 2nd gen.

It's pretty much pure Android, besides the (not too much) Verizon bloat. The camera is decent, 5.2" screen (not that big in hand really, it's a nice fit for my girly hands), imho Moto radios are superb so has great signal, I get a full day of battery (on wi-fi/4G mix), it's really fast and smooth. The only thing it won't do for you is be waterproof.

It's only real bummer/downfall right now it Lollipop 5.0, it can be glitchy. 5.1.1 is coming though, eventually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones