• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi calling compatible phone on Mint

DCCougar

Lurker
Jun 4, 2021
I need WiFi calling since I'm out of cell tower range, but I have good home WiFi.

But Mint does not seem to be very Wi-Fi calling friendly. I just got the (rather short) list of "Which phones are compatible with WiFi Talk & Text." Only one phone on that list is offered on Mint's selection of phones you can buy from them -- the LG K10. I don't need a real expensive phone, but I'd like 32MB and a better camera than the LG K10 has.

So I presume if I want Mint's service, I'll have to get a better phone from another vendor, and one that's on Mint's list of WiFi calling compatible phones. Most of those phones are fairly old models and they're pretty hard to find for sale NEW.

But here's a question:
Of course, Mint requires the phone to be unlocked (and system compatible). But now I'm seeing new phones for sale that say they're unlocked, but they're also associated with AT&T or T-Mobile or some other outfit. So are those really unlocked and usable on Mint's system? If they're unlocked, why do they say they're a "Verizon" phone or whatever?

So I'm looking for a "Mint WiFi calling compatible" phone with 32GB, 12 or higher MP, somewhere in the neighborhood of $200. I hope I'm not dreaming. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Well I can tell you this from experience, it actually depends on the device. Now they'll say it's best to use one of their devices, but I'm not convinced of that. I have a One Plus 5T still and my wife has a Moto G 6, we both have WiFi Capabilities with our phone. My One Plus works like a charm and connects with no issues with Mint WiFi Calling, my wife's Moto G 6 setups with the phone for WiFi calling, but when we try to connect it with the Mint app, it does not connect, even though the WiFi calling on the phone is set up. Hope that makes sense to you. So I would say, have others post that are connect to WiFi calling with their devices, and have them tell you which devices they have, if you do not want to pay or buy a Mint device.

So I can tell you the the One Plus Devices do work on Mint WiFi Calling with no issues and works great, I use to miss calls before on Cricket in my house and switched to Mint now for the past 4 months and have not missed a call in the house since.

Hope this helps a little. Here is a screenshot with WiFi calling enable on my device.

Mint WiFi Enabled.jpg

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I've been looking at the LG G8 ThinQ for Mint Mobil.
Sprint phones work with wifi... but NOT CELL (no VoLTE)
AT&T phones work with cell... but NOT with WIFI (AT&T locked the feature down)

I like Mint... and I like the LG G8 Thinq... but have not found a solution yet.

My impression is the manufacturer of the phone has to relay the wifi-call.. so they tend to lock that down.

Upvote 0
Woo Hoo...
T-Mobile LG G8 ThinQ works for Mint-Mobile for Cell (VoLTE), Wifi-calls, wifi download of MMS...
They make this much more complicated than it needs to be.
One hint that led me to T-Mobile is Mint Mobile uses T-Mobil's network.
NOTE: as posted above, unlocked LG G8 ThinQ by other providers did not work.
AT&T did not have working WiFi calls.
Sprint worked with WiFi... but not for Cell (no VoLTE)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones