• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone REFUSES to return to stock

Alcolawl

Lurker
Jul 20, 2012
Hello everyone, I'm running into a bit of a problem here with my sister's HTC EVO 4G.

You see her phone is a remanufactured replacement model from Sprint, and naturally it has a few minor problems with it. She wasn't thrilled with the battery life, so I rooted and flashed CM7.1 on her phone. She liked the rom and liked the extra battery life after I did some tweaking. 2 Months later, for some add reason, her phone will not connect to the data network at all. I flashed CM 7.2, same problem. Contacted sprint, where they refreshed the signal to the phone, no luck. So I concluded that it was a hardware error. problem is, Sprint won't work on the phone without the Stock Sense Rom installed. I though: "No big deal, I'll just flash it back to the stock sense rom" right? WRONG.

Never have I ever been so enraged by a cellphone. No matter what I do, no matter what I try, this phone absolutely REFUSES to go back to the stock rom. I've tried flashing several PC36IMG.zip files from the sdcard in HBOOT, and I have also tried several RUU updates from my PC while having the phone in Fastboot USB mode.

Quick Info:
Phone: HTC EVO 4G
Baseband: 2.15.00.12.19
HBOOT: 2.18.0001
Bootloader = Unlocked
Security = ON (S-ON)

Trying to flash PC36IMG.zip from HBOOT results in the phone loading the zip (with the little vertical progress bar on the side) and after loading completely, it just goes on it's merry way, checking for any other zip files and then HBOOT loads normally.

Running the RUU .exe files on my computer goes smoothly right up until somewhere in the update progress I get Error 155 (Unknown Error).

Now, it's my understanding that I don't need S-OFF to go back to the stock Sense rom, but I figured I should try to get S-OFF anyways. So I downloaded unrevoked and try to apply it from CWM, and it fails stating that it's not compatible with my radio version. Funny thing is, in all the radio lists for the HTC EVO 4G, I don't see 2.15.00.12.19 anywhere. In fact, 2.15.00.08.08 seems to be the newest one, unless I'm reading the lists wrong.

Either way I'm completely stuck here, and now I have a whining teenage sister screaming at me because she doesn't have a phone on a friday night. Go Figure.. Please guys, I know I'm a noobie here, but do me a solid. Please help me out, I'm stuck, frustrated, and I'm getting to the point where it's time to crack open a beer or 3 and say "f**k it".

Thanks in advance,
Alcolawl

Hello everyone, I'm running into a bit of a problem here with my sister's HTC EVO 4G.

Now, it's my understanding that I don't need S-OFF to go back to the stock Sense rom, but I figured I should try to get S-OFF anyways. So I downloaded unrevoked and try to apply it from CWM, and it fails stating that it's not compatible with my radio version. Funny thing is, in all the radio lists for the HTC EVO 4G, I don't see 2.15.00.12.19 anywhere. In fact, 2.15.00.08.08 seems to be the newest one, unless I'm reading the lists wrong.

Either way I'm completely stuck here, and now I have a whining teenage sister screaming at me because she doesn't have a phone on a friday night. Go Figure.. Please guys, I know I'm a noobie here, but do me a solid. Please help me out, I'm stuck, frustrated, and I'm getting to the point where it's time to crack open a beer or 3 and say "f**k it".

Thanks in advance,
Alcolawl
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok first of all, all you needed to do is flash a sense rom as aosp roms will not work when sprint has you enter espt codes(which is most likely what they had you do).

so now lets see where we are at. you have s-on now.

and your radio also known as baseband is the current one 2.15.00.12.19.

so a couple of questions:
1.is your bootloader locked? it will say so at the top.
2.can you boot up?
3.do you have recovery still? if so which one?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones