• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone running Gingerbread, stuck in boot mode

Hi All

I'm hoping that someone will be able to point me in the right direction. I've scoured threads and posts and have yet to find an answer to my particular problem.

My Desire isn't rooted (only got it just over a month ago), not locked into any network and running Gingerbread. I haven't had any problems with the phone before, it's been working fine since a friend gave it to me.

My problem is that a day after arriving in my new destination, I decided to restart my phone and it's been stuck in the boot mode ever since. The only thing I did prior to restarting it was click on a link, stopped the link from loading and closed the browser (Opera Mini). I decided to restart my phone which is where my problem began.

The volume keys won't work in boot mode. I wasn't holding any key down whilst restarting the phone. I've removed the battery but once it's put back in, it goes back to boot mode. I've also tried taking out the sd card but again, no difference.

I have no idea what could've caused it but I'm totally lost without my phone contacts. If anyone could help I would be so grateful!

If you press and hold (from Off), and at the same time press and hold power, keep them both pressed for a couple of seconds, do you now get a white screen with writing on it, that say a lot of stuff about HBOOT, recovery and the like?

If so, go to restore using volume down, and select it using the power button. in the next screen choose something like wipe/factory reset. THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE COMPLETELY of all contacts, SMS, and such that are stored locally on your phone.
If you use Google Contacts, you could just log in to your google account to retrieve them to your computer, and they will reappear on your phone when you log on to the google account when you set your phone up after the factory reset. If your contacts are only kept on the phone locally, without any form of backup to the cloud or SD card through an app, they will be gone when you preform the wipe.

If this seems like something you cannot live with I can only recommend an autorized repair shop under the factory warranty. perhaps they can save your contacts?

Upvote 0
Thanks, for your help, but the problem is that the screen that comes up with the HBoot etc is the screen my phone is stuck on. The volume up and down key doesn't seem to operate in this mode so I can't select any of the options.

I've contacted HTC Customer Support and will be sending it off for repair. Fortunately it's still under warranty.

the volume rocker has become damaged and stuck down. thats why its returning to hboot every time you boot it.

Upvote 0
Sent my phone off on Monday afternoon, it's now been returned (Wednesday) in working order!

@ Rastaman-FB - I was kind of wondering about that, but I don't recall doing anything apart from restarting it - unless my brother (who was fiddling around with it a few hours before) had been inadvertently holding down the volume key.

Still, glad it's back and up and running again. I felt lost without it :D

Upvote 0
Sent my phone off on Monday afternoon, it's now been returned (Wednesday) in working order!

@ Rastaman-FB - I was kind of wondering about that, but I don't recall doing anything apart from restarting it - unless my brother (who was fiddling around with it a few hours before) had been inadvertently holding down the volume key.

Still, glad it's back and up and running again. I felt lost without it :D
it might not be physical damage, it could be internal circuit or something like that.
either way good news its fixed

Upvote 0
Okay, I just used the Gingerbread break. I don't know why, but I'm totally shocked that it worked so smoothly. Few moments of needless terror but now I'm officially rooted. And have no idea what I want to do next.

One thing worth mentioning, the first time I tried the break, I got stuck in the "running exploit" screen for twenty minutes. I rebooted, put in an old SD card and formatted it. After that, the whole process took maybe three minutes. Beautiful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones