• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone running HOT w/ rapid battery drain

About a week ago, at random times, my Incredible will become "Incredibly" hot in my pocket, and the battery begins to drain at a rapid rate (from nearly 90%+ to <20% in an hour). This seems to be accompanied by an icon resembling a "refresh" symbol at the top of the screen (a circle consisting of two arrows). I can't determine any common denominator as to when this takes place, it seems pretty random.

Note: I added Google voice and Shazam to my phone just prior to this problem beginning, but have noticed no usage relation.

Any thoughts? Please feel free to direct me to another thread / lock if this has already been discussed.

Thank you!

I have had the same problem. My phone was super hot to touch and thought I'd be getting a new phone, however I first downloaded a task manager app (there are many free ones) to make sure I could close all running applications and I turned the phone off and removed the battery and then rebooted. When it recharged it was cool and has remained that way. I know this did not take a rocket scientist to do, but somehow it worked for me so thought I'd share.

Upvote 0
Your phone is constantly syncing (and essentially, unable to sleep - hence the battery drain). I'd double check to make sure your sync intervals are not too close to each other.

This is exactly what just happened to my phone. Worked fine, then suddenly would get warm and drain the battery in a few hours. Thought I was going to have to replace it. Turned off calendar ActiveSync and, voila, sync icon disappeared and phone cooled down. Deleted and recreated account to fix the problem and get my calendar back.

Props to the guy at the Verizon store for pegging this in two minutes...I had not even noticed the sync icon repeatedly appearing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones