• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone storage is full! Delete some files to free space.

Hi! I've been watching this thread since I've had some of the same problems. I'm not a risk taker, so no rooting.

In going through and deleting caches and stuff, though, I think I might have deleted something important from the Facebook app or perhaps some function that Facebook uses to connect. I noticed that I could click on the icon and the usual process would take place--I would have the options of Newsfeed, Friends, etc., and then I would choose Newsfeed...and then I would get a message that "an error had occurred when loading data. Please try again later".

Well, that's happened many times before, and when I tried again later, it would work. But now, it won't work at all. So...I thought perhaps somehow the login information had gotten deleted, so I logged out of the app and got the message "logging out will erase all data...do you still want to log out". I said OK.

Tried to log back in. Now, it won't even do that. Says "try again later".

So something is definitely wrong or erased or gone. Can anyone shed some light on this? It's not like I can delete the app and reload it. I definitely don't want to reset the whole phone--I JUST got it set up for the semester, and that would be a major pain in the tail.

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
So, I was getting this error message for a couple weeks now - but (like everyone else), my phone showed I had PLENTY of memory! It did't get annoying until things stopped working in the past couple days:

- updates wouldn't download
- new downloads wouldn't download
- Google Talk stopped working completely
- gmail wouldn't update my inbox or download new emails
- screen touch response was getting more flaky

among other things.

So, I tried all of the things mentioned here and on other similar threads to no avail. The problem didn't get any better in spite of my best efforts.

I went into my Application manager prefs and viewed them by size instead of A-Z. One of the larger ones was Flash, which I downloaded and update for not too long ago. On a whim, I decided to uninstall it and reboot (again). Guess what...

Problem is gone.

No more error message. All of the problems I had above are gone. Everything is working as it should - except for Flash of course.

I'm curious to see if others that are having similar problems would try this (deleting Flash) and seeing if you have the same results. I would like to know if it's really Flash causing the problem, or simply the deletion of one of the larger apps that's fixing it. Because if it's Flash, that's a big deal.

Thank you so much for posting this suggestion...I tried everything else that was suggested on this thread and nothing worked but when I deleted Flash like you said, it completely worked. I am so aggrivated that Flash started doing that. I have had flash on my phone since I got my phone in Feb and it never did this until the recent update. I think it is crazy and I will be going to the flash app and leaving some negative feedback for sure. They need to fix this issue ASAP!

Upvote 0
My Motorola Charm keeps saying it is low on storage space.
I have deleted all apps including my Market and it is STILL saying it is low
I've deleted my messages and call log as well.

It turned my text messaging off and i cannot make calls either.

WHAT DO I DO ? I'm getting sick of this. I just got the phone.:mad:

Please let me know.
Thank you

Upvote 0
My Motorola Charm keeps saying it is low on storage space.
I have deleted all apps including my Market and it is STILL saying it is low
I've deleted my messages and call log as well.

It turned my text messaging off and i cannot make calls either.

WHAT DO I DO ? I'm getting sick of this. I just got the phone.:mad:

Please let me know.
Thank you

I would return the phone...could be a malfunction with the phone itself...Not you..

Upvote 0
My wife was complaining yesterday that she got the "low space" error on her phone even though she only has 20 or so applications installed. (Note: She is not rooted and doesn't want to be.) Anyway, I looked at her application sizes, and none of them had a large cache that needed to be cleared, but I did notice that com.htc.socialnetwork.provider had 22MB of data!

Sure enough, in the "updates" screen of the People app, you could scroll down through months and months of Facebook updates, and there's no way to clear them. Even removing and re-adding the Facebook for HTC Sense account doesn't clear that data. So we manually cleared the data, then removed and re-added the Facebook for HTC Sense account :)mad:since the token had to be reset in com.htc.socialnetwork.provider). Now she has free space again and her People app is running much more smoothly.

I have a Droid A855 and I keep getting low space warning and text messages space full. I hav uninstalled all my apps, cleared all cache, and reset this thing more times than I can remember. I can not receive any texts or download anything from the market. ! I don't know what else to do! I was thinking about rooting but I don't know if that will work solving my issue? I'm so frustrated its crazy! Please help me if you can. I would appreciate anything you can tell me. Is roolting a possible fix? I have no warranty but that is not my concern. Thank you... Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Upvote 0
Menu> Settings> Manage Applications>scroll to an app and tap it, there will be a button that says clear cache. I don't know if there is a way to see which apps are using too much cache. I'd start with the browser. It's much easier if the phone is rooted.

After you get to Menu> Settings> Manage Applications, let it refresh, then menu->sort by size. It won't sort by cache used, but it will show you the apps that are using the most storage, some of which may have a lot of cache storage being used.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
Not sure if this will help your specific situation, but worth a shot when your phone won't sync!
Go into the installed applications, and look for one that says com.htc.socialnetwork.providers, and hit clear data...that did the trick for me, not sure what it'll do for you

It worked. I cleared the data & cache in Facebook and the problem went away. Thanks! :D

Stupid Facebook.

Upvote 0
I would like to thank everyone on this thread. My wife has been experiencing the same low storage and full storage error on her htc incredible phone. Funny thing the SALESMAN at verizon told her to buy another phone. After reading this thread and going through clearing data and clearing cache on a few apps. I finally did the facebook app which was the one program taking the most storage at like 45mb when i cleared the cache, then it was at 52mb. so i cleared the data and the errors went away immediately and the data went to 10mb.

Thanks

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Okay.... I have a lg optimus I tried downloading aa game that error message pops up when I checked the sd card there no apps saved on it when I chekef the space it says its full I don't get it. Can somebody please help.

Unfortunately, the way that Android stores apps can be very confusing. The SD card is almost never used for apps storage, so having more space on the SD card does not mean that there is space for apps.

Android's app storage model reserves space that is not exposed to view to users for apps and data.

As bberryhill0 mentioned above, there are forums for various LG Optimus model phones here at Androidforums.com (this is the forum for the HTC Droid Eris.) Take a look here: Android Phones - Android Forums and try to find an appropriate forum for your phone.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones