• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone thinks I am abroad

Sorry, i am in a village in hampshire, reception is not great and sometimes reads as no service. Using my old pay as you go sim from my n70. I was sent the texts saying the eu service charges and sent a text and then checked my credit and saw that it was not coming out of my bonus from topping up and i was being charged eu rates.

Upvote 0
I noticed this the other week. I was sat in the pub and happened to look at my phone and there was an R showing. It will still showing on the 3 network.

I unticked the data roaming option and it went. I never got charged any extra though so no idea what was going on there. Even if it went onto Orange/T-Mobile nutwork it shouldn't show as roaming unless things have changed in the past couple of months.

Upvote 0
I have it unticked too. 3 & Orabile have a roaming agreement set up as 3 is a 3G only network, if you go to an area with a very bad 3 signal it will switch switch networks onto a 2G only connection which you can uses for calls\texts until you are in a 3 coverage area again. My thought would be that if the OP is not on a network that has a roaming agreement (either 3G or 2G) then he couls be getting charged as if he were abroad i.e. a UK O2 user with no signal managing to roam onto the UK Vodafone network. Not saying this to be true but just a suggestion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones