• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Photo/video quality

Edbanger

Sep 24, 2009
Does anyone have any links to photos or videos that show what the camera is really like on the Atrix ? Im due an upgrade soon, and i never had a motorola before. I have to admit, its an amazing bit of kit , but visually apart from the screen, it looks a bit pants,plastic etc. I was also dissapointed to find only an 8mp camera, where most rivals have 8mp. So i just wanted to see what the quality is like. Thanks all.

no pics available as of yet, and although i love the hardware i agree with the plastic look, its one of my letdowns with this phone

Yea I have to agree about the plastic but haven't seen anyone say it felt cheap. I don't mind plastic a little just as long as it's durable. It does have it's advantages over a mostly metal phone. I remember with my Moto Droid the bezel got scratched up in the hip case I carried it in because it rubbed against something at the bottom where the hole is to push the phone out the case. I was pissed. I went to get a case for it and the Verizon rep put it on in the store. It was the two part case where one part fit over the Bezel and one on the back. It was so hard to get off that he scratched the bezel more then gave me a new phone.

Upvote 0
Yea I have to agree about the plastic but haven't seen anyone say it felt cheap. I don't mind plastic a little just as long as it's durable. It does have it's advantages over a mostly metal phone. I remember with my Moto Droid the bezel got scratch up in the hip case I carried it in because it rubbed against something at the bottom where the hole is to push the phone out the case. I was pissed. I went to get a case for it and the Verizon rep put it on in the store. It was the two part case where one part fit over the Bezel and one on the back. It was so hard to get off that he scratched the bezel more then gave me a new phone.

Yeah good point. Also, as long as the plastic is strong, durable, and has a pleasant texture, I might actually PREFER plastic because they are usually lighter than aluminum phones.

Upvote 0
5MPs is *plenty* for a low-to-moderate end P&S (which is basically what you're getting with a camera phone). You can still get plenty big prints if that's an intended output (10x14s).

In fact, depending on the sensor setup, more resolution can create more noise and lower quality images.

Yea, there's just not enough glass there to make a really good photo. Phone cams are basically to give you the idea, not to be published in Time or whatever...

Upvote 0
Motorola Atrix 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia states:

"5.0MP with Dual LED Flash, 4x Digital Zoom and Auto Focus, 720p video capture @ 30fps
(Full 1080p video capture will be supported via Software upgrade post-launch)"

Would love to see both 720p vs 1080p video samples from this or any smartphone for that matter..:cool:

MOTODEV > Products

720 off an iPhone. Not the best location, dark club, but it gives you and idea on small sensors in subpar lighting. It's actually really not that bad.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fanaddixx#p/u/8/fwGil1WOSi0

Upvote 0
720 off an iPhone. Not the best location, dark club, but it gives you and idea on small sensors in subpar lighting. It's actually really not that bad.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fanaddixx#p/u/8/fwGil1WOSi0

iPhone 4 has the most impressive 720p smartphone capture (where does it indicate that link was recorded with an iPhone?), I however elected to get an EVO because I consider it a more versatile handset but its 720p audio capture is terrible & video capture subpar. I'm excited about dual core because of its video capture potential.. :D

I'd be happier just to improve the 720p capture closer to what the iPhone4 offers, closest in Android I've seen so far is on Samsung Galaxy handsets but not at iPhone 4 quality. I hope dual core can take it to another level but have yet to see it. I'd really like to see 720p vs 1080p recorded with a dual core smartphone.. :cool:

Upvote 0
iPhone 4 has the most impressive 720p smartphone capture (where does it indicate that link was recorded with an iPhone?), I however elected to get an EVO because I consider it a more versatile handset but its 720p audio capture is terrible & video capture subpar. I'm excited about dual core because of its video capture potential.. :D

I'd be happier just to improve the 720p capture closer to what the iPhone4 offers, closest in Android I've seen so far is on Samsung Galaxy handsets but not at iPhone 4 quality. I hope dual core can take it to another level but have yet to see it. I'd really like to see 720p vs 1080p recorded with a dual core smartphone.. :cool:

It's from my wife's iPhone4. ;)

Upvote 0
Motorola Atrix 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia states:

"5.0MP with Dual LED Flash, 4x Digital Zoom and Auto Focus, 720p video capture @ 30fps
(Full 1080p video capture will be supported via Software upgrade post-launch)"

Would love to see both 720p vs 1080p video samples from this or any smartphone for that matter..:cool:

MOTODEV > Products

Here's a sample and some discussion about 1080P captured through an LG phone, it's a Tegra 2 powered device, so it's probably in the general ballpark of the Atrix capabilities:

LG Optimus 2X 1080p video surfaces, captures a slow day at the docks -- Engadget

Reactions: SMARTPHONEPC
Upvote 0
Don't think so. Different camera sensors= different video

Of course there's going to be PQ/IQ images across different sensors (see my previous post above), and being a photographer I'm reasonably sensitive to that concern.

However, the discussion was about the ability of a phone to record 1080P, so I figured an example of a phone with a matching CPU would give a good feel for the encoding performance of 1080P video (on a Tegra based phone).

:)

Upvote 0
Here's a sample and some discussion about 1080P captured through an LG phone, it's a Tegra 2 powered device, so it's probably in the general ballpark of the Atrix capabilities:

LG Optimus 2X 1080p video surfaces, captures a slow day at the docks -- Engadget

Funny timing, finally samples are surfacing although not recorded under ideal conditions (windy, digital zoom use, sun position, possible haze), I look forward to seeing more samples from dual core devices & Atrix soon..:cool:

Upvote 0
Of course there's going to be PQ/IQ images across different sensors (see my previous post above), and being a photographer I'm reasonably sensitive to that concern.

However, the discussion was about the ability of a phone to record 1080P, so I figured an example of a phone with a matching CPU would give a good feel for the encoding performance of 1080P video (on a Tegra based phone).

:)

iPhone 4 vs LG Optimus 2X: Video Recording Quality Comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSOoubjP9U4

Still want to see some optimized video capture samples under multiple lighting conditions..but something should dethrone that IP4 eventually..:eek:

BTW, I do actually agree with the IP4 oversaturated color criticisms

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones