• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pink line on the S7 Edge - samsung support response

ozomedia

Lurker
Sep 14, 2016
Hello guys

just wish to share, my 6 week old Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has developed the 'pink horizontal line' down the screen. read about this on the forums and apparently its a hardware issue.

Took it back to my provider 3, they said its outside the 30 day period and I had to take it to Samsung. Samsung service centre in South London, they took the phone from me, no replacement or hire phone for the duration I will be without the phone, the staff at the centre were helpful in backing up all my stuff to the SD micro card.

Am going to be without the phone for 7 to 10 days.:(

4 days later I got a call from the Samsung South London service centre, unfortunately the phone cannot be repaired and Samsung will be in touch to let me know how I will get a replacement.

Spent 47 minutes on the phone to Samsung UK helpline 7 days into my waiting period - 15 minutes of which was holding on to be answered.

Samsung UK Service Centre cannot tell me when I will get my replacement phone:(
(don't call us....we'll call you)

I know Samsung having issues with a massive recall on the Note 7, but the issue of the pink line has been known by Samsung as well as the Samsung's customer service for existing customers obviously does not prioritize the need of existing customers who have had the misfortune of buying their defective products (there will be some).

For a high end supposedly customer focused company, Samsung can do better......

Anybody else had experience with Samsung Customer Care - good or bad?

Cheers for reading guys.

ozomedia

Ok they are busy with the Note 7 issues but that cannot excuse them for leaving you hanging.

If the phone is BER then surely it's an authorisation from that department to the Samsung shop to authorise a release of a unit from their in house stock. Or I wonder if a refurbished phone will be supplied centrally via courier. Certainly a question I'd be asking.

Not sure but maybe it's because the phone was supplied from the network. Current terms say the manufacturing warranty lies with the retailer that supplied it and not the actual manufacturers, but that said it appears Samsung have taken ownership of this.

Hopefully they will be contacting you soon to arrange a replacement.

Don't ring us !! Pppfffttt I'd leave this a week and then be re contacting them for an update / resolution.

Reactions: ozomedia
Upvote 0
Hi,

Is there no recall in China? how hard is it to send out a replacement phone? If bought a new phone today I would still get it tomorrow. The massive Samsung please shape-up
Yup, no recall here in China. Apparently the N7s here have batteries from a different supplier to everyone else. And in fact I just bought an N7 two days ago.

Upvote 0
I've recently experienced the same fault with my Galaxy S7 Edge which I've had since March.

I went into my local O2 shop on Sunday afternoon and was told that, as the phone was over 30 days old, it would have to be sent off for repair (which they arranged for me there and then). I received a text yesterday morning informing me that it had arrived at the repair centre and another one this morning saying that UK Mail are delivering my order to me this afternoon (I assume that this is my phone as I'm not expecting anything else).

I don't know whether it has been repaired or replaced but I'm very pleased with the service so far.

Upvote 0
I've recently experienced the same fault with my Galaxy S7 Edge which I've had since March. Give you a

I went into my local O2 shop on Sunday afternoon and was told that, as the phone was over 30 days old, it would have to be sent off for repair (which they arranged for me there and then). I received a text yesterday morning informing me that it had arrived at the repair centre and another one this morning saying that UK Mail are delivering my order to me this afternoon (I assume that this is my phone as I'm not expecting anything else).

I don't know whether it has been repaired or replaced but I'm very pleased with the service so far.

Please keep us posted on the outcome, seems a good fast service you've had. Don't like the sound of refurbished though , hopefully they'll give you a new phone.

Upvote 0
Ok they are busy with the Note 7 issues but that cannot excuse them for leaving you hanging.

If the phone is BER then surely it's an authorisation from that department to the Samsung shop to authorise a release of a unit from their in house stock. Or I wonder if a refurbished phone will be supplied centrally via courier. Certainly a question I'd be asking.

Not sure but maybe it's because the phone was supplied from the network. Current terms say the manufacturing warranty lies with the retailer that supplied it and not the actual manufacturers, but that said it appears Samsung have taken ownership of this.

Hopefully they will be contacting you soon to arrange a replacement.

Don't ring us !! Pppfffttt I'd leave this a week and then be re contacting them for an update / resolution.

Unfortunately can't expect the telephone support staff to give me any reasonable or decent answer. Wish I had Barbara Streisand number

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Unfortunately my optimism regarding the repair service I received was misplaced.

My phone arrived back on Wednesday along with a letter stating that they had been unable to carry out any work on my phone as it was locked (even though the very last thing I did before sending it was to set the lock screen security setting to swipe). I turned the phone on and immediately unlocked it with a swipe.

I returned to my local O2 store yesterday after work and explained the situation. They were very sympathetic and arranged for it to be re-sent for repair (I believe O2 UK use an external company, Anovo UK Ltd, as their repair service).

Fortunately, I haven't got around to selling my Note 4 yet so at least I've got a decent replacement in the meantime.

It will now probably be the middle of next week before I get my phone back but I'll keep you all posted.

Upvote 0
Update

Called Samsung, never got a call from their Customer Relationship team as promised. Was suppose to get a call within 48 hours.

Anyway called the usual support team, still no information, told by the telephone rep, told to still wait for 10 working days - the rep says 'its been dispatched ..... I mean a 'new S7 Edge'.... to arrive by 27th Sept.

Somehow I think he's just making it up.

Very painful

Upvote 0
Unfortunately my optimism regarding the repair service I received was misplaced.

My phone arrived back on Wednesday along with a letter stating that they had been unable to carry out any work on my phone as it was locked (even though the very last thing I did before sending it was to set the lock screen security setting to swipe). I turned the phone on and immediately unlocked it with a swipe.

I returned to my local O2 store yesterday after work and explained the situation. They were very sympathetic and arranged for it to be re-sent for repair (I believe O2 UK use an external company, Anovo UK Ltd, as their repair service).

Fortunately, I haven't got around to selling my Note 4 yet so at least I've got a decent replacement in the meantime.

It will now probably be the middle of next week before I get my phone back but I'll keep you all posted.

Soooo annoying ☹

Upvote 0
Well, I received my S7 edge back from repair (for the second time) yesterday.

First, the good news.

The pink line down the right hand side of the screen is no more! There was little indication in the accompanying letter what they actually did and there is no evidence of dismantling having taken place. They did mention they had installed the latest software and the importance of ensuring it is up to date (I generally check for updates at least once a day so I didn't feel this was likely to be the cause).

Now, the bad news.

My phone now has a new fault that wasn't present before it was sent away. Normally, when you drag an app icon onto the screen, you can then drag and drop it to place it wherever you want. I am now unable to do this as, if the app icon is placed on the left side of the screen, I am unable to drag it to the right side (and vice versa) as, what I can only describe as an invisible line running down the centre of the screen, prevents it being dragged across. I maintain finger pressure on the screen but the icon is released from being dragged at the invisible line and remains on whichever side it was originally placed.

Needless to say, I will once again be visiting my local O2 shop and, although the staff there have been great, my patience is wearing thin (I've had the phone for 2 days in the last week and a half). I don't know if there is any possibility of receiving a new replacement phone but I feel that would be my favoured solution at this time.

I'll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
So, finally, after over 5 weeks and having sent my phone to the repair centre 4 times, I finally received a replacement phone yesterday. Here's a brief(ish) summary of events:

1. Originally sent to repair centre with pink line running down the right hand side. Phone returned to me as they claimed they were unable to unlock it (swiping the screen would have done that). This gave me some reason to doubt the competence of the repair "engineers".

2. After ensuring the phone lock setting was set to none (just to be safe), the phone was sent straight back to the repair centre with the same fault. When the phone came back, initially at least, all seemed well. The original fault was no longer present but I soon discovered a new fault had been introduced (the icon dragging problem described above). The phone was, once again, returned to the repair centre.

3. The phone arrived safely back at the repair centre but they did not receive a description of the new fault so (fortunately) they phoned me and asked me to describe the problem. I did my best (it would have been much easier to demonstrate in person) and the lady said she would tell the "engineer". I got the phone back the next day with a letter stating that the "engineer" had been unable to find anything wrong with it but, if I still had problems, I could send it back for them to have another look.

4. By this time, my patience was running out so, instead of returning the phone via my local O2 shop, I decided to ring their customer services department in order to cancel my contract.

They managed to talk me into sending the phone in again for a second opinion. They would send out a jiffy bag with postage paid in order for me to send it to the repair centre. This arrived a couple of days later with a letter stating that I would need to return the phone via Special Delivery as their postage did not insure the phone against loss/damage (another £7.50!!!!!).

I resisted the overwhelming temptation to hurl the phone against the wall and claim a new one on insurance and duly dispatched it for repair. A couple of days later I received a text saying that spare parts were on order and, if they didn't arrive within 5 days, I would be sent a replacement phone. The very next day (last Friday) I received another text telling me my O2 order would be delivered on Monday (yesterday).

5. Yesterday, my replacement phone arrived in a small cardboard box. It has a different serial number so it is not the same phone, I am not sure of its age (no cellophane wrapping on it apart from a small piece stuck over the camera lens) but it arrived in absolutely mint condition and, most importantly, it works flawlessly.

AT LAST!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones