• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Played with Droid X Car mount today...

Haha, what the hell was up with that random truck in the middle of the road?

funny story.

the spot i was riding in is a "construction zone" even though three years have past and nothing has been constructed.

so i drive down to the dead end and i see this truck coming up behind me, so i just pull a uturn and start driving out like i was lost. dude pulls a uturn and sits there... im like WTF. i figured he was waiting for me to pass to get my plates and call it in.

so i tweak out and drive past him and pull onto this side street to see where he goes. ends up the dude works at the mechanics shop at the start of the dead end road, that truck was getting worked on and he was just test driving it. saw it go up on the lift and everytihng.

so i freaked out for nothing, went back and got my vid.
the_finger.gif

Upvote 0
That is a pretty beast pothole. The track surface itself is usually pretty smooth but depending on how aggressive you hit the gators it can get pretty bumpy, not to mention going off track. I would hate to spin and lose my phone out the window lol (not that I'm prone to off track shenanigans).

There is a reason real car camera mounts (roll bar mounts) include a safety strap or tether so that id the camera comes lose, it's not a projectile. They are outright prohibited in club racing. HPDE rules tend to be more lax, but many clubs do not allow just suction cup mount items in the car for those kind of events. The external mounts are a bit of a gray area, as they do not pose a threat to the driver, which was the idea of a tether, but they are not as secure as something more permanently attached.

That being said, part of my reason for getting the X was to run Trackmaster to get timing and lap data. In car track video is fun to look at once or twice, but without associated data is mostly fluff. I say that as someone with dozens upon dozens of MINI-DV tapes of exactly that.

It is very cool that the option is there though. Now if you could run both together and somehow combine the video and gps data... now that would be amazing.

Upvote 0
I had a chance to use the X Car mount for GPS today... i have to say i'm disappointed honestly...partially for the GPS App, and some because of the charger on the dock.

I had to reboot the D-X to even get the GPS to find ANY signal (not the car docks fault)...

After a while of being up on the dash, plugged in in an offical Verizon micro USB Car Charger in the back of the dock, it just stopped charging...I'm guessing it might have got too hot (battery was REALLY REALLY warm to the touch). Once I yanked it out of the dock and put in a cupholder (out of the sun), it started to charge again... not sure if that was the charger or the phone/battery.

After that I, while the charger was plugged in, I couldn't keep a charge on the phone...it finally ended up being about 30% at the end of our trip (while plugged in the whole time). Again, probably phone, battery or charger isssue and not the car dock, but since I couldn't use it for more than 1/2 of my 400 mile trip for one reason or another, it was ultra disappointing.

Upvote 0
I had a chance to use the X Car mount for GPS today... i have to say i'm disappointed honestly...partially for the GPS App, and some because of the charger on the dock.

I had to reboot the D-X to even get the GPS to find ANY signal (not the car docks fault)...

After a while of being up on the dash, plugged in in an offical Verizon micro USB Car Charger in the back of the dock, it just stopped charging...I'm guessing it might have got too hot (battery was REALLY REALLY warm to the touch). Once I yanked it out of the dock and put in a cupholder (out of the sun), it started to charge again... not sure if that was the charger or the phone/battery.

After that I, while the charger was plugged in, I couldn't keep a charge on the phone...it finally ended up being about 30% at the end of our trip (while plugged in the whole time). Again, probably phone, battery or charger isssue and not the car dock, but since I couldn't use it for more than 1/2 of my 400 mile trip for one reason or another, it was ultra disappointing.

I checked again on the drive home... when the charger shopped charging (with the D-X in the dock connected to the Car Charge), the battery was at 56* C per one of the Wifi Tether apps I have... I suspect there is some safety shutoff if the battery gets too hot...maybe from the sun on the dash with a black phone and black car dock + GPS full screen brightness,etc made it too hot to charge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones