• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please Help me Make a Simple App

Olegred

Lurker
Jul 18, 2019
I want to make an app, which would alert me if I am driving by a certain place. Let's say, I need to go to Walmart, but do not want to drive there specifically. So, I would type the "Walmart" into the search field and the app would monitor my whereabouts and it a Walmart is within 1 mile it would notify me. Ideally, multiple places could be tracked.

I have minimal background in Android app development. I know some Java and can learn. I am looking for a an advice on how to approach this app project.

come to think of it, first of all what you want would require you to have ur gps on at all times and second, it would be much easier getting a sample app that uses gps and keeps printing ur gps coordinates live and then go to your wallmart and save the coordinates of that area, in your app it would be doing some simple math for example if im this much closer then send a notification (to send notifications u must use a service activity in android studio i would suggest getting a sample project online also), i hope this isnt too hard.

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding guys. I guess I can use network location, really, right? It does not have to be exact, like GPS. As far as the way it would work, I do not want it to be static. I Google Maps API constantly and tell me if the store is nearby. I want it to be dynamic and work in all areas, not just for one particular store.

And, year, I am kinda into this stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones