• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Popular 2.1 ROM List and Links for ROOT ONLY - Moto DROID

inssane

Android Expert
Dec 17, 2009
Chi-Town
This is not an exhaustive list, just ones that are talked about the most frequently. I wanted to provide kernel links, but use those that are recommended by the ROM developer.

I am trying to provide both the download link and feedback/changelog in the links below.

These links are current as of 6/4/10 and do not include ReMixes/Themed ROMs

In NO particular order:

Simply Stunning

CyanogenMod - ROM Manager Available

NexBeast

Bugless Beast - ROM Manager Available

Ultimate Droid - ROM Manager Available

Seems like there are alot of noobies out there lately, so maybe this will help.
NOT exhaustive, but should be helpful.

Nick

This is not an exhaustive list, just ones that are talked about the most frequently. I wanted to provide kernel links, but use those that are recommended by the ROM developer.

I am trying to provide both the download link and feedback/changelog in the links below.

These links are current as of 6/4/10 and do not include ReMixes/Themed ROMs

In NO particular order:

Simply Stunning

CyanogenMod - ROM Manager Available

NexBeast

Bugless Beast - ROM Manager Available

Ultimate Droid - ROM Manager Available

Seems like there are alot of noobies out there lately, so maybe this will help.
NOT exhaustive, but should be helpful.

Nick
Nexbeast is a theme/remix, it's no different than JRummy's remix of CM.

Upvote 0
Good catch Bose. I guess I meant all of the different Cyan remixes, or moreso just "themed" ROMs, since there are a ton.

I will make it more comprehensive as time moves on and possibly edit the links to reflect current build numbers.

Inssane = "Mr. Sticky" - Thanks for being the "consolidation" guru here!

I think it would be cool to see people post USEFUL experiences and opinions relative to some or all of the ROMs they have personally tried.

These are the ROMs I personally recommend time and time again.

Bugless Beast - Has to be the ROM that I recommend the most to people who are new to their rooted droid or are just looking for a solid and very fast ROM with many extras (like custom scripts) that can be utilized to customize the ROM to your exact liking (but definitely not necessary).

NexBeast - A NexTheme (Now called DroTheme I believe) version of Bugless Beast with additional optimizations like themed launchers, extra hacks, etc.). Just as reliable as Bugless Beast but has some nice enhancements

CyanogenMod - While Cyanogen is not quite as fast as Bugless Beast, it has options that are not available on any other ROM. Full screen stock browser, Apps2SD (stores apps on your SD card so you can fit more and bigger apps/games on your phone), customized "Spare Parts" app that lets you change the color of the clock and various other text located in the notification panel. Cyanogen is built from Google's source code so when the ROM is updated it has features that are truly new to Android!

JRummy CyanogenMod Remixes - JRummy's Remixes is to CyanogenMod as NexBeast is to Bugless Beast. JRummy uses the latest CyanogenMod as the base ROM and then adds additional scripts and hacks. Lately JRummy has been adding a wide variety of Theme choices which are really well done. With CM's custom Spare Parts application, you can add your own little touches to personalize the ROM further. Example: If you are a Dallas Cowboys fan (as I am :D), you can download the Blue Themed version and then make the clock and all notification text a silver color. Cool stuff IMO!

P3 Droid's and Bekit's Kernels work really well with all of the ROMs above and I rarely have any kind of stability problem.

LauncherPro and ADW (either will come with the ROM or available in the market for free) are two very good Home Replacements for any ROM and they help to maximize the speed, overall "fit and finish", and usefulness of the ROM you have.

"And that's all I have to say about that" :)

Reactions: inssane
Upvote 0
Bugless Beast and CyanogenMod are definitely the big two right now. I generally recommend CyanogenMod because of the fact that it is synched with AOSP. That means that you get things straight from Google. ROMs like Bugless Beast and everything else are modifications of the ROM that Motorola releases for the Droid, but with CyanogenMod you get stuff that Moto might have chosen not to put into the Droid ROM, etc. The transition between two Android versions (ex: Eclair to Froyo) is also more seamless because you aren't stuck with pure 2.1 until you get 2.2; you get everything along the way as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones