• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Porting ClockWorkMod to the Kyocera Rise

i took a look at the default.prop in my phone and compared it to another phone. it seems that,

galaxy precedent ro.secure=0
optimus s ro.secure=0
kyocera rise ro.secure=1

would the rises ro.secure=0 be overwritten to be ro.secure=1 if we rebooted it with it being 0? im asking this due to the others have it at 0. and it might be this that prevents some things from being booted up on. meaning it could prevent us from unlocking it. so if this value is changed would we be able to bypass the checks that the phone performs? or will it brick the phone?
As far as I know, the default.prop is extracted from the boot.img on bootup. So that's where it would need to be changed, which we can't do.

Upvote 0
hmm well we know its that value that needs to be changed but going about it is tough it seems. what did others do on other phones to get the image onto those phones with the value at 0
Either the bootloader is unlocked, or it doesn't check the integrity of the image being booted. The Rise's bootloader is locked, and it does check the integrity. The only solution will be to find a bootloader exploit that allows a custom boot/recovery image to be booted.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just had a thought. The bootloader was unlocked momentarily in the past. Now we know qualcomms chips are not secure since that was proven. Now these bootloaders are unlockable but the embedded security prohibits that. Its not the bootloader at all since its not the problem period. The true problem is the security put in here to stop it from being tampered with. Is there any type of security flaws that can be found and exploited on? If so then can we use some type of module or something similar to extract the security and if possible dump the security so that we can either get the keys within or get rid of the security all together?

Upvote 0
I just had a thought. The bootloader was unlocked momentarily in the past. Now we know qualcomms chips are not secure since that was proven. Now these bootloaders are unlockable but the embedded security prohibits that. Its not the bootloader at all since its not the problem period. The true problem is the security put in here to stop it from being tampered with. Is there any type of security flaws that can be found and exploited on? If so then can we use some type of module or something similar to extract the security and if possible dump the security so that we can either get the keys within or get rid of the security all together?
The security is the bootloader. It was only "unlocked" on the Sprint/PM versions of the rise, and no others. Also, even with the "unlock", it could not permanently boot the custom images. We (meaning those of us who have abandoned the Kyocera Rise) have already tried to use various security flaws known in other devices, and none have worked.

Upvote 0
OK... I'm really new at this but I've read a ton of info on the dev s trying to unlock
boot and haven't heard of anyone getting their phone back going once it goes
into a boot loop not sure if I'm correct on that but I have a Kyocera Event (I hear is the brother to Rise.,) that went into boot loop last nite when I tried to install exposed framework and chose the reboot
option after installation. but the odd part is I am using said phone to post this query.....
is it normal to recover from loop,even when I went into the recovery you can do with button holding and did the clear cache and complete erase and reformatting which I did like 20 times to no avail...by then iit had been looping for around 3 to 4 hours ...before I "tinkered" with it thinking it was not ever gonna work again. now if this is something unique to happen and possibly useful in a crash dummies way... let me know I'll go into greater detail of what I did to bring it out of boot loop with recovery failures...also when it..booted back it didn't do it like it does when ii activated it. I have only had the phone now since Dec. 5 I think...also a few days ago I was really bored so I went through ALOT of random files too see what was there kinda... there was 2 or 3 files that caught my attention because contents were involving both and related files and scripts I wasn't sure how to post them properly to retain the files proper layout plus I nit sure yet but I might have to re root before I can see them again..I didn't know if there is some kind of log that I could copy that details what happened in the system causing loops or log what happened to make it start up again but I didn't wanna go to putting my customizations and such back on here and possible lay losing that log or whatever it could be called I it exists..all I can say is titainium rocks...oh and me 1 Kyocera 0. and I apologize in advance if this is useless info and or redundant I know I'm nowhere near halls level of experience on this stuff but hoping beginners luck can apply to rooting and modding on a phone notorious for bricking

PS...I do not and have not used a computer to: root, tweak,backup, restore or any interaction except 1 time
which was to copy all data on SD and put in folder on windows desktop to factory restore phone+sdcard then copied
folder back to sd card....I only did that to completely clean phone due to me using trial/error method to find apps low on adds and actually worthwhile and learning as I went and it was the factory restore that is accessed
in the settings list in backup restore not the restore found in boot up that seemed important to add since I've learned a lot of devs use computers and other more advanced means in the good fight for circumvention of those who deny us our rights.

Reactions: Slayer72
Upvote 0
The security is the bootloader. It was only "unlocked" on the Sprint/PM versions of the rise, and no others. Also, even with the "unlock", it could not permanently boot the custom images. We (meaning those of us who have abandoned the Kyocera Rise) have already tried to use various security flaws known in other devices, and none have worked.

The two or three people who claimed to unlock the VM Rise never offered or showed any proof. They merely claimed we were all too stupid to do it ourselves.

Reactions: DMedina559
Upvote 0
Dont know if this will help, but I know that going into terminal from the rise, then manually removing the dalvik cache then rebooting from terminal will force the phone into a system update, might be a chance to use adb to catch whats changing. Just a thought. I should add that this seems to work every time and may mess with root permission afterwards. So re-rooting may be in order afterwards.

Upvote 0
First off, let me just say that I have been quite unsuccessful at getting CWM to work. I also am new to this, so I could be doing something wrong.

I picked up this phone on Black Friday for $30, what a steal! I am excited to get started in a new community and get the ball rolling for custom recoveries and ROMs. Since there hasn't been any progress on getting CWM onto the Rise, I decided to take up the helm myself and figure out what works and what doesn't work.

So far, this is what I have attempted:
-- I have made backups of recovery, boot, system just in case I screw something up. At the moment, only the recovery backup does me any good, because if I screw up boot or system, and can't boot into Android, I have no adb.
-- Wiped recovery/boot to try and get into fastboot. DONT DO THIS! You will end up with a bootlooping paperweight. So far, fastboot is out of reach.
-- adb reboot fastboot/bootloader and adb reboot-bootloader just reboot the phone normally.
-- Unpacked and then repacked recovery.img and used dd to push it to the phone. Failed to boot into recovery, it just rebooted itself back into Android.
-- Unpacked boot.img and placed the kernel from there into recovery.img. Same thing.
-- Built kernel from Kyocera's sources. placed that into stock recovery.img. Failed to boot into recovery.
-- Built CWM from source using the kernel extracted from the recovery.img. Again, failed to boot into recovery.
-- Built CWM from source using the kernel built from source. Still failed to boot into recovery.
-- Flashed boot.img to /recovery, just to see if it would do anything, and surprisingly enough it booted straight into Android. Before it was attempting to boot into recovery, then it would reboot the phone again, which brought it to Android. Replacing the recovery partition with the boot.img boots straight into Android without any reboots. This might be a clue, maybe not. I'd assume that recovery.img on the /boot partition would boot the phone into stock recovery every time the phone is rebooted.
-- I emailed Kyocera about how to unlock the bootloader. This was their response:
Maybe if we keep emailing them, they'll tell us.

If anybody has any ideas, I'm willing to try them out, I still have another testing phone just sitting here. If anybody knows a dev who would be willing to port CWM, I could send the dev my testing phone. Let's get this ball rolling!

Hi, my name is daniel baker. I have been developing with android for 2 years now. I would love to try and get cwm working! I know what it must feel like, my huawei mercury and custom recovery don't get along to well

Upvote 0
The two or three people who claimed to unlock the VM Rise never offered or showed any proof. They merely claimed we were all too stupid to do it ourselves.
Actually, yes we did. In order to use fastboot boot to load the cwm images for testing, you had to use fastboot oem unlock. As stated previously, only the Sprint and Public Mobile versions of the Rise had this capability. smartmanvartan did this on the Public Mobile version, and there are pictures somewhere here. I did so on the Sprint version, but provided no images. Sorry. One other person on here did provide images from the Sprint version. Again, it did NO good, as the security was still enforced. The images could only be booted with fastboot boot, they could not be written permanently. This IS documented in this thread.

Upvote 0
Actually, yes we did. In order to use fastboot boot to load the cwm images for testing, you had to use fastboot oem unlock. As stated previously, only the Sprint and Public Mobile versions of the Rise had this capability. smartmanvartan did this on the Public Mobile version, and there are pictures somewhere here. I did so on the Sprint version, but provided no images. Sorry. One other person on here did provide images from the Sprint version. Again, it did NO good, as the security was still enforced. The images could only be booted with fastboot boot, they could not be written permanently. This IS documented in this thread.

Note I said "VM Rise", not "PM" or "Sprint" Rise, please. Just specifically the Virgin Mobile version.

We had two that I recall claim that did it- one claimed he even developed an entire ROM for it, only a week after being unable to tehter his phone. Hasn't responded since to any requests for help, hasn't responded later to requests that he say how he "upgraded" his PRL to Verizon's PRL's.

The other was banned at some point or another, possibly for posting illegal software links (but I won't speculate further on that topic), but essentially said the same thing. "I've been developing for years and you guys just aren't good enough" was his essential message, though to his credit, he did note that it re-locked itself shortly after.

Reactions: Kritter888
Upvote 0
So I was working with my rise seeing if for when we got cwm working, I could make a cm rom. I tried to see if I could switch out files from my phone with cm9 files. Tried switching out frameworkres.apk and while doing that root explorer crashed. Now, I'm not sure if I have access with adb. I made a backup of the file. Is their any way I can get it back on. I am advanced with adb, but don't really know how to use fastboot. I can't get past my bootanimation. Please help. Anything is greatly appreciated. Thank uyou :)

Reactions: gogomouse1
Upvote 0
Dont know if this will help, but I know that going into terminal from the rise, then manually removing the dalvik cache then rebooting from terminal will force the phone into a system update

That message is misleading, it's not updating or upgrading it's only rebuilding the Dalvik cache.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones