• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Post Froyo Update, How Do I Get Certain Features Back?

ebaum

Oct 8, 2010
Chicago
Ever since updating my Captivate to Froyo yesterday, I lost some features that I used a lot and am pretty unhappy.

First, I can no longer find the option to stop vibrating for text messages/notifications. I would often go to Messaging -> Settings and turn the ringtone to Silent and turn off vibration. This is very important to me as I often would turn this off for text message notifications while leaving call vibration/ringtone on (such as at night when receiving a text isn't important, but receiving a call is). How can I turn off text message notification vibrations now (or get that entry back in my settings screen)?

Second, I relied heavily on the vibration on/off icon @ the top taskbar, which seems to have been replaced by the "auto rotation" icon. I am shocked that this icon would be replaced. Does auto rotation matter that much to people? I really need the vibration icon back in that spot! How can I get rid of the stupid auto rotation icon and put the vibration shortcut back up there?

Ever since updating my Captivate to Froyo yesterday, I lost some features that I used a lot and am pretty unhappy.

First, I can no longer find the option to stop vibrating for text messages/notifications. I would often go to Messaging -> Settings and turn the ringtone to Silent and turn off vibration. This is very important to me as I often would turn this off for text message notifications while leaving call vibration/ringtone on (such as at night when receiving a text isn't important, but receiving a call is). How can I turn off text message notification vibrations now (or get that entry back in my settings screen)?

Second, I relied heavily on the vibration on/off icon @ the top taskbar, which seems to have been replaced by the "auto rotation" icon. I am shocked that this icon would be replaced. Does auto rotation matter that much to people? I really need the vibration icon back in that spot! How can I get rid of the stupid auto rotation icon and put the vibration shortcut back up there?

It's still technically the vibration icon. If you hit that, you can use the volume keys on the side to set whether you want it to work as vibrate or silent.

Upvote 0

And if you do have the silent button, even though it says silent it sets the phone to vibrate. There is no separate option for turning off the vibe for sms, but if you dont want to know about txts at night when they come in then just uncheck the box for display notifications, this should turn notifications off all together. Hope that helps, Ive been using 2.2 on my Cappy since October (Pre release) and have had no problems with this.

Upvote 0
i figured out how to turn off vibrate when in silent mode...go to the main settings (not sms) go to sound and you see silent mode, under it, it says vibrate and it gives you the option to set vibrate to- always, never, only in silent mode, and only when not in silent mode. and its FIXED!

But then how do I make it so that I can have 3 separate modes: regular, vibrate, and silent (no vibrate)? It seems my only choices now are regular or silent, where silent must be either with or without vibrate (but not both).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones