1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Post ways to get awesome battery life.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by whaaaambulance, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    I'm going to verizon now to see if I can get one of those super batteries a few of you keep talking about...

Advertisement

2. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    Are you going to try adding them back one at a time to try and find the culprit? It'd be interesting to see what you find if you do.

3. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Hah, that sounds like a lot of work but actually a meaningful exercise. I think I had about 30 apps/games installed which imo isn't that many. I will try adding them in batches and see what happens as it will just take way too long to add them one by one. While having long battery life is a plus, not having apps on this thing is pretty much like getting a LTE blackberry torch (Except BB has BBM which is a plus).

P.S. I've also changed no settings after the factory reset besides screen brightness (which I had at the same level prior to the reset)

4. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver

5. photondev

photondev Member
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Finally I am getting very good battery life after some very frustrating days.

I have followed this thread and performed most of the recommended actions, and after 5 hours of moderate to heavy use I still have 78% of battery left, yesterday at this time I was around 40% with similar usage. I get mail from my email account plus calendar and email synchs from my company. 4G is not disabled and the signal is very strong here.

6. skinnhc

skinnhc Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 28, 2010
  7. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    BBM is coming but it will be limited to chat only and probably cost a few bucks. Personally am eagerly waiting liveprofile to get to the blackberry. I've been using that with my android and iphone friends and it is a legitimate successor to Kik if and when they release bb support.

8. MyTBoltisuno1

MyTBoltisuno1 Newbie
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    CEO
    atlanta, ga
    ok if u turn it off what code do u use to turn it back on ?
    also i am confuse about the wi-fi how do i know it is on and does the wi-fi when use take a higher priority over the lte and 3G?

thank

9. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    You can d/l an app in the market to turn on/off 4G alot easier. Heck you can even turn off 3G if you want/ Nice little app called Network or something like that

10. cramblda

cramblda Lurker
    None

I noticed after my phone rebooted, that a bunch of the VZW bloatware was running even though I never opened any of it. I Used task killer to shut that stuff off until you can remove it with root. As someone mentioned already, shutting down the stocks and news sync seems to help quite a bit. I am always near a charger (even with my fruit I was always charging just so I was ready when I didn't have a charger), but today I have been running on battery since 8am just to test. I had a 98% charge at 8am, and it's now been four hours and I am at 79%. I have LTE enabled and I have been using my phone a decent amount. Not as good as the fruit, but not horible either.

11. WildH

WildH Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Yesterday was dismal performance. Today much better. Pretty heavy use and been on it since 7am and its 230pm. 40% left. Wifi seems to help a lot.

12. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    DO NOT USE A TASK KILLER! let the damn apps run in the background. you can stop the stocks/weather/news sync if you want though

13. Tryn2getaclu

Tryn2getaclu Member
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    I have seen this posted a few times. But, please correct me - it seems the criticisms are about running automatic killing and I don't see anything about running it manually. I am new to android so have quite the learning curve. I never set-up the automatic killing. So, when I click on the Task Killer app it instantly shows me a list of running apps with all checked for kill. I un-check the ones I want to leave open and then click the Kill bar at the top. The app remembers which ones I unchecked and leaves them unchecked next and each subsequent time I open the app. The OS seems to eventually re-open bloat that I had previously killed. So, this seems a super fast and easy way to see what is opened and kill off the bloat. I open it once or twice each day just to clean up the mess (shutting down apps I don't want and which may be polling).

If using in this fashion - is it still problematic? It sure is convenient compared to going into open apps other ways.

T.I.A.

14. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver
    Yeah if you get a rogue app just uninstall it or use the built in task killer to force stop it.

15. flanntastic

flanntastic Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    i have been lurking since Thursday reading all the battery threads. i just got rid of a HTC Eris with the Seido battery pack. so battery is a BIG issue for me. My business relies on me being reachable.

Thursday-Sunday my battery SUCKED, and planned on taking the phone back. Monday and today i have experimented, i turned off everything, turned screen to 33%, left it in Wifi ALL day, only thing i have sinking is my work mail and calender. Both days i got 9 hours and was still at 70%. I also didn't play on it, just used it for the bare minimum. tomorrow i will play a little more freely and see how it does.

BUT....
    if i go to my basement, i burn through the battery, while its searching for for 3g/4g, i mean i could burn 50% in 2 hours bad.

still debating on if i should just take this back and get a iphone (i know dirty word here, but my wife is getting great battery time)

16. Fronc

Fronc Newbie
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    J.D./M.B.A. Candidate, Seton Hall Law
    Newark, NJ
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have been explaining the same thing to others on other forums. Didn't mean to have that "h" in there. Good explanation though!

17. Fronc

Fronc Newbie
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    J.D./M.B.A. Candidate, Seton Hall Law
    Newark, NJ
    Highly doubt your wife's phone would do much better in a basement. No service will kill any phone, 4g, 3g, analog, and the like.

18. photondev

photondev Member
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    I may be wrong, but disabling news and stocks earlier today may have done the trick for me - I also force stopped some apps yesterday.

I have been using the phone moderately to heavily for over 9 hours and I still have 55%

19. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    After doing a factory reset yesterday, I started the day at 7:00am and when I got home around 7pm, I was still at just over 50% battery. Had 4G running the entire time with mild-moderate use. Clearly something within the apps I downloaded drained the hell out of my battery. I installed a batch of apps today (better keyboard, facebook, and some games). Will see what the battery does today.

20. Andy4390

Andy4390 Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Juice Defender doesn't seem to work on my TB. Every time the screen locks, the app would disable. I downloaded Green Power instead. I actually like it much better!

21. Stevessvt

Stevessvt Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    Took my phone off charger last night at 10:20p, full charge, woke up at 88% left. All radios where off all night. Been on it quite a bit today, all on wifi. GPS off, sync a few times manually. A few calls, angry birds rio, lots of internet browsing. Changed Sense skins a few times, which I think uses power, and rebooted once. 34% left.

22. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Advanced Task Manager is nice since you can exclude system apps. It is a misnomer saying not to use a task killer- depending how you use it.

On my Inc and gTablet, there is a huge difference in N64 and PSX performance, if killing tasks or not. Ditto for higher def Flash performance.

Using task killers correctly- helps battery life.

BTW, not one mythical bump charge post in this thread yet. Nice :)

23. medic552

medic552 Newbie
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    SWAT Paramedic
    PA
    Has Anyone purchased the extended battery 2750 ? I received mine two days ago and charged it up and I have been having incredible battery life. YES it is a bit bulky but didn't take long to get used to. I slide it in and out of my pocket without problems and with the help of a sharp knife and needle nose pliers I actually modified my carrying case to work with the device when I want to put it on my belt. The stock battery was giving me about 8 hrs and I consider myself to be a power user with over 300 emails a day, lots of texts and of course some social networking browsing. With the same settings I have been using my extended battery now for 2 days without a charge and it is the first time ever that I have been able to do this with any phone I have owned either the droidX, Blackberry Storm, Storm 2 etc...

I am actually very happy with the extended battery and for the $50 I paid for it on ebay I would suggest it to anyone that asks. Im sure it is just personal preference.

24. jaybeewaybee

jaybeewaybee Member
    None

Feb 1, 2010
    Video Engineer
    Los Angeles
    Downloaded Juice Defender. Lots of error messages.Apparrently, there are many problems using it with a Thunderbolt. Recent reviews back this up.

25. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    City of Sharks to the City of Live Music!
    I even tried using their newest closed beta version and its still not working for me. Give it a few days. I bump charged mine ONCE and since then Ive been getting AWESOME battery life except for when Im home. My house, literally if I walk down the street Im in full blown four bars of four G, just sucks for VZ service. Other than that though, its been great. :)

@Medic: I got mine, and the things ballin, but since my slim battery has been so good I havent actually used it beyond charging it. lol. Im debating selling it for the 40 bucks I paid for it since I cant return it.