• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post ways to get awesome battery life.

Just for kicks, I did a factory reset and haven't installed anything on my phone at all. Have had my phone on for 5 hours now with mild-moderate use (texting, email, internet, music) and I am at 85% battery. It's clear to me apps destroy your battery life. Not sure which one, but just what I've discovered.

Are you going to try adding them back one at a time to try and find the culprit? It'd be interesting to see what you find if you do.

Upvote 0
Are you going to try adding them back one at a time to try and find the culprit? It'd be interesting to see what you find if you do.

Hah, that sounds like a lot of work but actually a meaningful exercise. I think I had about 30 apps/games installed which imo isn't that many. I will try adding them in batches and see what happens as it will just take way too long to add them one by one. While having long battery life is a plus, not having apps on this thing is pretty much like getting a LTE blackberry torch (Except BB has BBM which is a plus).

P.S. I've also changed no settings after the factory reset besides screen brightness (which I had at the same level prior to the reset)

Upvote 0
Finally I am getting very good battery life after some very frustrating days.

I have followed this thread and performed most of the recommended actions, and after 5 hours of moderate to heavy use I still have 78% of battery left, yesterday at this time I was around 40% with similar usage. I get mail from my email account plus calendar and email synchs from my company. 4G is not disabled and the signal is very strong here.

Upvote 0
I'm a heavy user, but only got the TB for the screen size/htc quality. I turned off LTE with the #*#*4636*#*# and turned it to CDMA preferred/PRL and it is fine now, I am coming from the Incredible with the 2600 MaH and would get two to three days on that.

As soon as Seidio comes up with an extended, buy it, limit your screen brightness, turn off haptic and vibrations, keep the volume reasonable. Oh and turn off animations, if you wanted to be forced to watch everything happen all pretty you'd get an Iphone.

If you keep the TB on 4G and it sits, as many people say the battery just drains, pretty rapidly too!!

ok if u turn it off what code do u use to turn it back on ?
also i am confuse about the wi-fi how do i know it is on and does the wi-fi when use take a higher priority over the lte and 3G?

thank

Upvote 0
I noticed after my phone rebooted, that a bunch of the VZW bloatware was running even though I never opened any of it. I Used task killer to shut that stuff off until you can remove it with root. As someone mentioned already, shutting down the stocks and news sync seems to help quite a bit. I am always near a charger (even with my fruit I was always charging just so I was ready when I didn't have a charger), but today I have been running on battery since 8am just to test. I had a 98% charge at 8am, and it's now been four hours and I am at 79%. I have LTE enabled and I have been using my phone a decent amount. Not as good as the fruit, but not horible either.

Upvote 0
I noticed after my phone rebooted, that a bunch of the VZW bloatware was running even though I never opened any of it. I Used task killer to shut that stuff off until you can remove it with root. As someone mentioned already, shutting down the stocks and news sync seems to help quite a bit. I am always near a charger (even with my fruit I was always charging just so I was ready when I didn't have a charger), but today I have been running on battery since 8am just to test. I had a 98% charge at 8am, and it's now been four hours and I am at 79%. I have LTE enabled and I have been using my phone a decent amount. Not as good as the fruit, but not horible either.
DO NOT USE A TASK KILLER! let the damn apps run in the background. you can stop the stocks/weather/news sync if you want though

Upvote 0
DO NOT USE A TASK KILLER! let the damn apps run in the background. you can stop the stocks/weather/news sync if you want though
I have seen this posted a few times. But, please correct me - it seems the criticisms are about running automatic killing and I don't see anything about running it manually. I am new to android so have quite the learning curve. I never set-up the automatic killing. So, when I click on the Task Killer app it instantly shows me a list of running apps with all checked for kill. I un-check the ones I want to leave open and then click the Kill bar at the top. The app remembers which ones I unchecked and leaves them unchecked next and each subsequent time I open the app. The OS seems to eventually re-open bloat that I had previously killed. So, this seems a super fast and easy way to see what is opened and kill off the bloat. I open it once or twice each day just to clean up the mess (shutting down apps I don't want and which may be polling).

If using in this fashion - is it still problematic? It sure is convenient compared to going into open apps other ways.

T.I.A.

Upvote 0
i have been lurking since Thursday reading all the battery threads. i just got rid of a HTC Eris with the Seido battery pack. so battery is a BIG issue for me. My business relies on me being reachable.

Thursday-Sunday my battery SUCKED, and planned on taking the phone back. Monday and today i have experimented, i turned off everything, turned screen to 33%, left it in Wifi ALL day, only thing i have sinking is my work mail and calender. Both days i got 9 hours and was still at 70%. I also didn't play on it, just used it for the bare minimum. tomorrow i will play a little more freely and see how it does.

BUT....
if i go to my basement, i burn through the battery, while its searching for for 3g/4g, i mean i could burn 50% in 2 hours bad.

still debating on if i should just take this back and get a iphone (i know dirty word here, but my wife is getting great battery time)

Upvote 0
You're confusing total energy (amp-hours) with current flow (amps). An amp is a unit of current flowing *right now*, where an amp-hour is the total amount of current in a battery (or the total amount of current used.)

Chargers can be rated for anywhere from 500mA (millAMPS) to 2000mA. (The iPad and the Galaxy Tab use USB chargers but require 2000mA.)

Pretty much all generic chargers are rated for 500mA per-port, but there are more and more dual-port and even quad-port chargers showing up on the market. The dual-port chargers are equipped with a 1000mA regulator, so they can charge 2 devices at 500mA each, or they charge one device at 1000mA.

mAH, or milliamp-hours is a rating of current over time. If you put 1000mA through a circuit for one hour, you have transferred 1000mAh of energy. Your electric company bills this way: you get charged for watt-hours of energy.

To summarize:
voltage is like pressure. It's how much "push" a power source has. ALL USB Power sources are 5 volts.
amperage is the current flow. That's how much current is flowing right now. Most USB chargers are .5 amps or 500 milliamps per USB port
an amp-hour is a measure one amp over the course of one hour.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have been explaining the same thing to others on other forums. Didn't mean to have that "h" in there. Good explanation though!

Upvote 0
BUT....
if i go to my basement, i burn through the battery, while its searching for for 3g/4g, i mean i could burn 50% in 2 hours bad.

still debating on if i should just take this back and get a iphone (i know dirty word here, but my wife is getting great battery time)

Highly doubt your wife's phone would do much better in a basement. No service will kill any phone, 4g, 3g, analog, and the like.

Upvote 0
After doing a factory reset yesterday, I started the day at 7:00am and when I got home around 7pm, I was still at just over 50% battery. Had 4G running the entire time with mild-moderate use. Clearly something within the apps I downloaded drained the hell out of my battery. I installed a batch of apps today (better keyboard, facebook, and some games). Will see what the battery does today.

Upvote 0
Took my phone off charger last night at 10:20p, full charge, woke up at 88% left. All radios where off all night. Been on it quite a bit today, all on wifi. GPS off, sync a few times manually. A few calls, angry birds rio, lots of internet browsing. Changed Sense skins a few times, which I think uses power, and rebooted once. 34% left.

Upvote 0

Advanced Task Manager is nice since you can exclude system apps. It is a misnomer saying not to use a task killer- depending how you use it.

On my Inc and gTablet, there is a huge difference in N64 and PSX performance, if killing tasks or not. Ditto for higher def Flash performance.

Using task killers correctly- helps battery life.

BTW, not one mythical bump charge post in this thread yet. Nice :)

Upvote 0
Has Anyone purchased the extended battery 2750 ? I received mine two days ago and charged it up and I have been having incredible battery life. YES it is a bit bulky but didn't take long to get used to. I slide it in and out of my pocket without problems and with the help of a sharp knife and needle nose pliers I actually modified my carrying case to work with the device when I want to put it on my belt. The stock battery was giving me about 8 hrs and I consider myself to be a power user with over 300 emails a day, lots of texts and of course some social networking browsing. With the same settings I have been using my extended battery now for 2 days without a charge and it is the first time ever that I have been able to do this with any phone I have owned either the droidX, Blackberry Storm, Storm 2 etc...

I am actually very happy with the extended battery and for the $50 I paid for it on ebay I would suggest it to anyone that asks. Im sure it is just personal preference.

Upvote 0
Downloaded Juice Defender. Lots of error messages.Apparrently, there are many problems using it with a Thunderbolt. Recent reviews back this up.

I even tried using their newest closed beta version and its still not working for me. Give it a few days. I bump charged mine ONCE and since then Ive been getting AWESOME battery life except for when Im home. My house, literally if I walk down the street Im in full blown four bars of four G, just sucks for VZ service. Other than that though, its been great. :)

@Medic: I got mine, and the things ballin, but since my slim battery has been so good I havent actually used it beyond charging it. lol. Im debating selling it for the 40 bucks I paid for it since I cant return it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones