• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Posting in Archived Forums

breadnatty08

pain rustique
Nov 8, 2009
I'm new at noticing this, but just saw new threads can be posted in archived device forums. I don't think this is beneficial to the member as honestly, no one is looking at those devices. Perhaps once a forum is archived, no further posts/threads can be posted.
If anything, it can go in the Android Lounge, Other Phones, or General Tablet Talk as per appropriate.
Thoughts?

I'm new at noticing this, but just saw new threads can be posted in archived device forums. I don't think this is beneficial to the member as honestly, no one is looking at those devices. Perhaps once a forum is archived, no further posts/threads can be posted.
If anything, it can go in the Android Lounge, Other Phones, or General Tablet Talk as per appropriate.
Thoughts?

Yeah, that's the chance we take when we archive forums for lack of activity. The rule for archiving device forums a while back was 60 days of no activity in a forum that was at least 60 days in existence (if my memory serves me... the "activity" one may have been 30 days).

I can see the possibility now, with so many different old devices popping up, that an archived area could well see new posts after much longer than a few months.

Makes me wonder to what extent.. because if it's just a few now and then, the Android Lounge as mentioned seems appropriate. But if we see more and more.. it may be time to have a look at "un-archiving" a forum or two. ;)

Upvote 0
I found six from this year in Archived Tablets, and twenty-three in Archived Phones.

May 29th was the latest in Tabs, with the next latest being in April.

In Phones it was June 7th and May 30th.

There are a few different ways of looking at this, of course. One being that the Archived devices area is serving its purpose, as we see new users landing there to post queries. We also see old threads being resurrected there: http://androidforums.com/motorola-cliq-xt/407540-sporadic-tethering-ftp-issue.html#post5659313. Of course that happens in newer/active device forums as well.

Some of the threads in those Archived areas are resolved queries within a day or a week or so of the OP: http://androidforums.com/dell-aero/...g-isd-messages-charging-5-rs.html#post5550818.

Some of them have the OP heading out to AF or The Lounge with their issue.

What's going on is a bit of a mix.

As we look at all this, one thing comes to mind: none of the Archived forums are so busy that they need to be un-archived, even though we do see one or two threads pretty new.

Maybe we Staffers need to check in there now and again more with an eye toward helping the OP (or the thread reviver ;)) than toward moving the thread or advising the member to post elsewhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones