• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Power management/Google Play/Installing Apps

moggyman48

Apr 12, 2012
Exeter
Hi

I have a few questions and didn't want to start a thread for each one. I'd appreciate some wisdom :)

Q1. With my Ace connected to my PC via USB, is it possible to download and install apps to it using the PC rather than the Ace? My second question is also to do with apps and Google Play........

Q2. On the Ace, how can I change the email account I associated with logging in to Play? On my PC I get logged on with my normal email address e.g. fred@virginmedia.com but when I first accessed Play from the Ace it made me go through a setup process where I had to (or thought I had to!) create a googlemail address. It now seems to use this to login to Play. I tried setting my PC to login using the googlemail address in the hope it would recognise my phone on the USB and I could begin building a record of my downloads. However, the login on the PC said that the login email address couldn't be a googlemail address!! Any suggestions?

Q3. I recently opened another thread to do with shutting off background activity and general power saving advice. This dealt with switching from 3G to 2G, turning off Background Data, turning off Data Network and the like. Can anyone recommend a nice little app that would allow me to keep such settings in a Profile or two that I could easily access or schedule them at specific times? For example Profile 1 = 2G, network off etc and set to be applied between 11pm-7am so it's off overnight. Profile 2 = 3G, network On etc to be applied between 7am-11pm ?

Many thanks

Hi,

1) if you install apps via PC they still download via the ACE. They only way around this is find online the .apk file and copy to your phones SD when connected. Then install when disconnected.

2) Go to play store and press menu then accounts. This should allow you to change your account to the one you set up via PC. Alternatively reboot into recovery menu (power off, then press home key while holding power) then factory reset. You'll be asked to set up google account and this time just put in the details of the account you want. You'll be prompted to choose set up or sign in. Just choose sign in.

3) There are apps on the Market that allow this, or if you use a custom ROM like Cyanagenmod they have inbuild profiles managers.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: moggyman48
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses......

1. So I can connect the phone via USB and (when I've sorted out these blessed accounts!) if I choose an app to download it will automatically send it to the phone - did I understand that right? Or find the appropriate .apk file, copy that to SD and somehow run it - could you clarify where these can be found and how to install them please?

2. Thanks - I'll try the first option. Is the factory reset as scary as it sounds i.e. all the little tweaks and changes I've made go down the pan?

3. I might try modifying it like that when it's out of warranty (I've had it less than a week...) so I'll see if I can find a suitable app for now. I just wondered if anyone was already using something that was the mutt's nuts for this.

Socrates0 - apologies, I don't quite understand. Do you mean that using my normal email on Play is bad security or did you think my email was fred@virginmedia.com?

BTW - another thing I'd like to try is either changing the system font size or having some kind of app that increases the font of an SMS I receive. Anyone used similar? Age is ruining my eyes! :eek:(

Thanks all.

Upvote 0
Socrates0 - apologies, I don't quite understand. Do you mean that using my normal email on Play is bad security or did you think my email was fred@virginmedia.com?

BTW - another thing I'd like to try is either changing the system font size or having some kind of app that increases the font of an SMS I receive. Anyone used similar? Age is ruining my eyes! :eek:(

Thanks all.

I thought that your id was fred@virginmedia.com Looks like its age in my case too & not just in my eyes. lol :D :D
There seems to be an app for increasing teh font size for sms. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.peterfranza.smstextsize&feature=search_result but I have not tried it.

Reactions: moggyman48
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones