• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Premium messages on Galaxy S8

We have found in my wife's latest bill for her Galaxy s8 phone a weekly charge of £4.50 for a premium text message always to the same number at a similar time on a Monday morning

How can I stop these recurring messages and can I block all premium messaging on the S8?
can you find the message in your messaging app? do you recognize the phone number?

Upvote 0
No I cannot find the message in the app bit I can find the phone number in my Three Mobile bill

Three Mobile. You're in the UK?

You can go here, enter the premium number and should be able to find what service it is.
https://psauthority.org.uk/

Three Mobile might be able to block premium numbers.

Reactions: Hadron and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Yeah, speak to your provider to find out what it is.

There are various "businesses" which charge people for receiving a premium SMS. They are supposed to make it very clear when you use their services how this will work, what it involves and how to cancel, but of course they don't all. I recall some years ago various scammy services that offered a ringtone download or something equally trivial would sign you up for an ongoing charge via a premium SMS. But she should definitely check for any messages she's received (which may appear to come from a short number, e.g. 5 digits).

I don't know whether 3 allow you to block all premium SMS for the account but if you never use such a thing it might be worth investigating.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
3 are very proactive with spam and allow blocking of numbers. As far as I'm aware if you were to try and send a premium rate SMS you would be warned beforehand.

As you say you are not seeing the messages I would be inclined to check apps I have installed and also the Playstore Subscription area to make sure no dodgy apps are charging you a monthly fee:

https://play.google.com/store/account/subscriptions

Also, have a read here @oldun for your options and information regarding the premium rate numbers:
http://www.three.co.uk/Smallprint/Advice_list/Advice_detail?content_aid=1214306140552

Call customer services on your phone on: 333 and speak with an advisor tomorrow.

Hope you get it sorted @oldun

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Well! I am amazed at the large number of replies, many thanks to you all.

I have phoned Three UK and they were very helpful.

There were five premium texts all approx at the same time on a Monday. The texts cost £4.50 and there were 5 Mondays in the month so the cost was high.

Three responded with a refund to my account, a temporary block on all calls/texts etc outside my allowances, gave me the contact number for the company and recommended that I test STOP to the number.

The company deals with computer games and reality TV shows etc which is an unlikely interest for me and my wife as were both on our 80's.

Once again thanks to you all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones