• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Preview of Android 2.3.3 on Atrix 4G

Shouldn't they really push 2.3.4 for the security fix? Seems odd to even bother with 2.3.3 when 2.3.4 has the fix in place. Though, I guess, Google has "fixed" most of this issue server side, so maybe it doesn't matter?

2.3.4 wasn't just about the security fix, the main feature was probably the inclusion of video chat with google talk, it just happened to have the fix rolled on with it too. Google have the ability to roll out security fixes to any Android Phone in the same way that MS have the ability to roll out security patches to all Windows based PC's so if you're running 2.3.3, you'll be patched anyway. Further details can be found here

Upvote 0
FYI - There is a rumor (here) that the new 2.3.3 update breaks gingerbreak but does give us sideloading and NETFLIX!!!! :D

That user says he has the update and gingebeak does not work (wow that took Moto/AT&T a lot less time to fix that than expected :( )

So a big heads up if you update, you may not be able to root for a long time

Update #3: Some more video showing the new Blur interface in action. http://briefmobile.com/motorola-blur...th-gingerbread
Update #2: Netflix works flawlessly on the Atrix with Gingerbread! Check it out: http://briefmobile.com/netflix-on-th...ix-gingerbread

Update: Looking into three new root possibilities. Progress communication may be limited for certain reasons. Also, I posted new pictures on Facebook.

Here's a preview of Android 2.3.3 for the Atrix 4G!

http://briefmobile.com/motorola-atri...ad-android-2-3

Details
Code:
Android 2.3.3
Webtop: wt-1.2.0-76_OLY-1
Build: 4.5.40
A nice guy gave me this to see if we can get root and such. He requested that no one have access to the files, and I'll be keeping my promises. Sorry, guys!

Anyways, we can test out root exploits. All of the traditional ones seem blocked, including Gingerbreak. I haven't tried beforeupdate/afterupdate yet. I'll be trying that later.

Upvote 0
FYI - There is a rumor (here) that the new 2.3.3 update breaks gingerbreak but does give us sideloading and NETFLIX!!!! :D

That user says he has the update and gingebeak does not work (wow that took Moto/AT&T a lot less time to fix that than expected :( )

if we are allowed sideloading....there really is no point in rooting then is there? the only thing i can see from rooting is overclocking the phone.....owai, custom rom....hmm does that mean we would lose like launcherpro?

Upvote 0

Now that is a really *unattractive* choice! Talk about being damned if you do and damned if you don't. Are you willing to trade the freedom of being rooted for Gingerbread, and the ability to sideload (a feature we already have)? I don't know man, I think I'll pass on this upgrade.

Thanks James! :) Being the bearer of bad tidings is never fun.

-Mike

Upvote 0
And it's got some nice features...

"Another noteworthy feature is the ability to download apps from outside of the Android Market."

Read more here...

Motorola Atrix next in line for Gingerbread update? | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

Yes, but the big issue with some of us lies with the rumor that by accepting the OTA Update we will lose root (not totally unexpected with OTA Updates) as well as the ability to re-root. If that's true, it means that Motorola has found a way to close the loophole that the various rooting tools exploited, and that has severe implications.

I would much rather decline the upcoming OTA update, remaining rooted, and wait to see what the development community can come up with in the way of a custom rom which includes the best parts of Gingerbread. I trust the developers to release a rom in time, which will give me Android 2.3.3 but won't rob me of root and prevent me from re-rooting.

-Mike

Upvote 0
This update can't come soon enough. We're losing tons of money in Amazon Appstore items.

You don't need the update to enable sideloading, if that's what you mean. There are two ways to enable sideloading that are available - one is a paid app that you download from the market, called Non-Market Apps Enabler.

-Mike

Upvote 0
Please don't ask me how, but my Atrix is running 2.2.3,(Edit: should say 2.3.3) from a week now.
I really like it, I can't really compare it to Froyo because I used Froyo for only a week before I got Gingerbread.

A few things I noticed which were a pain with Android older version:
- calendar now supports timezones
- you can groups apps, so it is easier to navigate if you have many apps

Im sure there are more, but I can't remember them all.. Ill post here as they come up..

Upvote 0
Please don't ask me how, but my Atrix is running 2.2.3 from a week now.
I really like it, I can't really compare it to Froyo because I used Froyo for only a week before I got Gingerbread.

A few things I noticed which were a pain with Android older version:
- calendar now supports timezones
- you can groups apps, so it is easier to navigate if you have many apps

Im sure there are more, but I can't remember them all.. Ill post here as they come up..

Really...2.2.3? The phone was released on 2.2.1 in v1.26 and then updated to 2.2.2 in v1.83 which fixed some email glitches in Android I believe. The update people are talking about here is 2.3.3, Gingerbread, and 2.3.4, Gingerbread with video chat built in to Google Talk. 2.2.3 will most likely be skipped on the Atrix, and the only article I found about it on Google is that 2.2.3 worked on NFC compatibility which is pointless.
Check your Android version by going to Settings>About Phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones