• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pricing with the SS

Wimax will have a good 2 year headstart. Verizon got their headstart by buying up regional carriers but there is no such thing to buy up in this case. As much as competing standards annoy people and make it harder to switch devices, I don't think it will affect the average person. As long as you can go to your carrier and get a phone with 4G speeds if you want it it will be cool. It will end up being about price, coverage, and speed just like it is now.

Upvote 0
This thing is amazing.
Yes, $200 would be nice, but come on people. Saying that over $200 for this thing is ridiculous sounds stupid.

Look at the specs,
A basic phone: is free now with contract.
4.3" multi-touch screen
8 Megapixel camera: $100+
720P Video Camera: $175+
Mobile hot spot for up to eight devices: $50
GPS Unit: $100
Thats just hardware not to mention the 30,000 apps available and all the other cool software features. 4G is like always being connected to wifi, this thing is cool!

I am getting this thing for sure and will gladly pay $300 for it.

Upvote 0
I'm guession off contract, $649. Seriously, it trumps anything out there by a mile. Even a no contract iphone 3GS is 599... this will be more. I wouldn't be surprised $699 even.

but it sure is HOT! will be hard to resist... but I just can't bring myself to switch to Sprint... no way... I need SIMs for device swaps...

Upvote 0
True but this this a 4G phone, the first of its kind in the United States. I would think it would be at a bit of a premium as a result especially if the rumored specs are true. The original iPhone was released at $399 for the 8GB and $499 for the 16GB in just 2007.

Fair enough, but you can always count on apple to want a premium for their stuff. Personally, I think the more Android devices they can get in people's hands, the better off they'll be. Hell, my Moment here has me sold, rock solid, on Android. It may have it's kinks in the hose, but it's by far the best piece price of mobile technology I've set my hands on, side from a decent ny book.

Upvote 0
you can't just put number you think around objects and say it will have that price...GPS 100??? that's becoming pretty standard now

i still think around 200-250 will be the price, and it may sound DUMB but NOT having a OLED screen saves some monies too, and let's face it, that screen was damn fine anyway!
Hope the screen is better than 65k colors though!

Upvote 0
Imagine if the cost was 0 with a simply everything plan....
Although I very much doubt, it will probably not be less than $450 in contract, (since this is better than the TP 2 which is sold at $299 and this is almost twice as good). Now even if Sprint did sell it at $0 and even increase the data plan by $10 a month, you will see plenty of people jumping ship and coming over to Sprint. Sprint has a very good opportunity to make a killing here either money wise or subscriber wise, and if they play it right, even both.

Either way , I will be one of those getting this thing.

TS out

Upvote 0
Regardless what price Sprint sells it at, I'll be getting it from Best Buy since their prices (at least for my Hero was) way cheaper than what Sprint was selling it for.

Remember folks, as much as I would like this phone to be low in price, it is the first 4G, snapdragon, dual camera, 8 device hotspot , hmdi, 4.3 inch phone in the Americas and thus will command a hefty price, with or without a contract.

A price I feel would be justified considering all the stuff it does and has.

TS out

Upvote 0
I'm with SoFLO on this one. I think $300 is the magic number Sprint is going to be looking at. I hope it comes in around $200, but with all the bells and whistles associated, 4G, HDMI out, etc, etc, etc... I wouldn't be surprised to see this crest 300 or more. Remember, this is Sprint's Halo device, and they can always say "if you don't want to pay that much, there's the Hero (or Hero 2 as was rumored) Moment, Nexus 1, etc..."

My thought is that this is the finest of lines for Sprint to walk. Sure they want to get as much money as they can for this thing. It certainly would warrants a large price point with all the features it contains. But Sprint needs customers, and happy ones at that, more than anything else. They have been doing a good job trying to turn around their image; improving customer service, first 4G roll-out, now cutting-edge hardware, even eliminating some wasteful spending at corporate headquarters. All this will be for not if the EVO doesn't deliver.

After the unveiling today, I, along with most everyone on here, can confidently say that the device itself is a home run (I'm getting it regardless). But the when and how much are just as important questions that need answers. Us Android Uber-geeks are the minority as far as the major carriers are concerned. And there just isn't the massive cult following of Apple. Get it right Sprint, and you could definitely be the big winner in all of this.

Reactions: mybad
Upvote 0
I switch phones all the time online. Takes five minutes. Even easier when both phones are already programmed with my number. I swap to and from the Moment and Pixi. I'll switch up to the Moment again when 2.1 comes out. With wifi it always stays updates so I have zero down time when I switch. Sprint's website makes it pretty easy.

I'm guession off contract, $649. Seriously, it trumps anything out there by a mile. Even a no contract iphone 3GS is 599... this will be more. I wouldn't be surprised $699 even.

but it sure is HOT! will be hard to resist... but I just can't bring myself to switch to Sprint... no way... I need SIMs for device swaps...

Upvote 0
I switch phones all the time online. Takes five minutes. Even easier when both phones are already programmed with my number. I swap to and from the Moment and Pixi. I'll switch up to the Moment again when 2.1 comes out. With wifi it always stays updates so I have zero down time when I switch. Sprint's website makes it pretty easy.

yeah when i have a blackberry issue i swap to my other one with almost no problems. takes less than 5 mins.

Upvote 0
It's already being realeased later than it should be released, so hopefully they get the price right and make it $199....they need contracts, $249+ is not competitive, stop comparing the Touch Pro 2 and Instinct, this phone will be the phone people possibly switch from iPhone to, but that depends on the iPhone 4g it might be just as loaded as the Evo, hence the reason I think Sprint needed to blow up the market NOW, not in June.

Upvote 0
Regardless what price Sprint sells it at, I'll be getting it from Best Buy since their prices (at least for my Hero was) way cheaper than what Sprint was selling it for.

I hope Best Buy sells this; I picked up my TouchPro during initial release (actually two days before official sell date) using a 20% off Reward Zone certificate plus my $150 renewal discount. (That's one thing I love about Best Buy, no rebates, the renewal discount is immediate)

It was really a great experience, they will also transfer over contacts, pictures, ringers, etc.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't be surprised and it's completely reasonable if it's $299. That's the current price for the most expensive iPhone and Sprint's most expensive phone right now. The Evo is a better phone than both and you'd be getting 4G access on top of it. I'd be surprised if it's under $299 and extremely surprised if it's under $249.

Reactions: slbailey1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones