• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem deleting SMS threads

Hello!

A month ago, I upgraded my X10 to Android 2.3 and since then I haven't been able to delete any SMS threads (large, small or even empty). When I try to delete a thread, the phone deletes only the messages inside it, but the thread remains and it sets the date to 01/01/1970. I've tried using the regular SMS app that comes with the phone and the Handcent SMS force delete function. Nothing works and the results are always the same.

I dont know if this is an X10 issue or a Gingerbread issue, but I havent had any luck finding a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

A month ago, I upgraded my X10 to Android 2.3 and since then I haven't been able to delete any SMS threads (large, small or even empty). When I try to delete a thread, the phone deletes only the messages inside it, but the thread remains and it sets the date to 01/01/1970. I've tried using the regular SMS app that comes with the phone and the Handcent SMS force delete function. Nothing works and the results are always the same.

I dont know if this is an X10 issue or a Gingerbread issue, but I havent had any luck finding a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

So if you open the app Messaging, you press the left button (menu button) and chose Delete Several, then select Mark All and hit Delete in the top right.....what happens?

What does it do and does it give any sort of error?

Does it just leave a bunch of empty messages with the contacts names and the message groups themselves are absolutely empty? But when you try and delete all, it still only deletes the contents of the messages?

Did you ever import any messages from an older version of android to a newer version of android?

Is your phone rooted?

I would probably root...then try and delete messages again. If you ever imported messages from an old version....I could see this happening...like if you were rooted...backed up....imported....upgraded....then were no longer rooted, and now can't delete old threads that were created when you were rooted?.....sounds weird....actually...I don't think that is even possible.

Anyways...answer some of those questions I asked above...hopefully we can help you out.

Reactions: Vodeni
Upvote 0
First of all, thanks for replying!

So if you open the app Messaging, you press the left button (menu button) and chose Delete Several, then select Mark All and hit Delete in the top right.....what happens?

What does it do and does it give any sort of error?

Does it just leave a bunch of empty messages with the contacts names and the message groups themselves are absolutely empty? But when you try and delete all, it still only deletes the contents of the messages?

No, the end result is the same. I get no error messages, the phone carries out the operation like beore when it worked (v2.1), all the messages in the marked threads are deleted, but the threads themselves remain (empty of course), the contact names are there and all have the dates set at 01/01/1970.

Did you ever import any messages from an older version of android to a newer version of android?

This I DID do. I backed up my messages via the Backup and Restore app and naturally restored them after I was done with the update. And that's when the problems started.

Is your phone rooted?

The phone isn't rooted, it never was. I'm aware of the advantages of rooting, but the thing is - I'm afraid it will void my warranty, and I have about 20 months left. And so far, every phone I had had to be repaired (but not one had a software problem, though).

One solution I found worked, and that's to delete all the threads I would normally do (they'll still remain there), then backup the messages and restore them again. After that, the unwanted threads will be gone. But I'd really like not having to go through all that just to delete a simple sms.

Upvote 0
First of all, thanks for replying!

No, the end result is the same. I get no error messages, the phone carries out the operation like beore when it worked (v2.1), all the messages in the marked threads are deleted, but the threads themselves remain (empty of course), the contact names are there and all have the dates set at 01/01/1970.

This I DID do. I backed up my messages via the Backup and Restore app and naturally restored them after I was done with the update. And that's when the problems started.

The phone isn't rooted, it never was. I'm aware of the advantages of rooting, but the thing is - I'm afraid it will void my warranty, and I have about 20 months left. And so far, every phone I had had to be repaired (but not one had a software problem, though).

One solution I found worked, and that's to delete all the threads I would normally do (they'll still remain there), then backup the messages and restore them again. After that, the unwanted threads will be gone. But I'd really like not having to go through all that just to delete a simple sms.

I would suggest rooting or removing all userdata and reimporting.

Probably has something to do with importing and upgrading.

Upvote 0
Vodeni, try the app listed in this thread for your text messaging problem. It's called "Delete old Messages".

I have also just gone through the pain of the overheating/rebooting problem as well. The solution for this for me was to ring Vodafone and, because I was still within my contract (but outside of the 1 year manufacturer warranty) they *attempted* to fix it for free.

I say "attempted" because all they did was upgrade the firmware to the same version that I had - 2.3.3 - and then send it back. Needless to say, it didn't sort the issue because a) like I said, the phone was already up-to-date and it kept overheating (more so on 2.3), and b) the issue is actually a hardware issue. Within 10 minutes of receiving the phone back, the issue reocurred so I went back to the store and the manager simply got me a brand new X10 out of the back and gave me that!

Not sure what country you're in or whether I was just lucky with Vodafone (UK), but why don't you try calling your provider and see what they say?

Hope I've helped some.

Upvote 0
hi,

if anyone knows that how to delete multiple messages in one time by multiple selection. Actually having a much quantity of message in my cell and i want to delete some messages which i don't want. If i am deleting one by one its taking so much time. Someone told me to download "handcent sms app" bt its doesn't work. its do the same.

If anyone knows than let me know.

Highly thank in advance.

Hitez

Upvote 0
hi,

if anyone knows that how to delete multiple messages in one time by multiple selection. Actually having a much quantity of message in my cell and i want to delete some messages which i don't want. If i am deleting one by one its taking so much time. Someone told me to download "handcent sms app" bt its doesn't work. its do the same.

If anyone knows than let me know.

Highly thank in advance.

Hitez

I'm guessing you're talking about deleting message threads. I used the Handcent SMS app before, but I honestly cant remember if it had that feature or not. In any case, I now use GO SMS and it's pretty simple to delete threads with it. In your sms inbox screen (usually the 1st one when you enter the app) just press your cell's "option" button, select batch mode, check the threads you want to delete and press delete. That should do it.

Other SMS apps probably have the same feature, but I'm currently using this one so I'm just giving you instructions for that. Hope it works!

Cheers!

EDIT: Or, if you're talking about deleting multiple messages inside a single thread, it works on the same principle. Enter the thread, press the option/settings button and repeat the procedure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones