• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem using OTG cable to transfer files to USB memory stick

jimdays

Nov 20, 2015
Hi, I am new to this just buying a smartphone last week. I bought a LGL 15G with Android version 4.4.2. I bought it from Walmart for $10 and is for Tracfone minutes. I can connect the phone to my laptop and transfer files from the phone to/from the computer. However, I want to be able to transfer files from the phone to/from a USB memory stick. I bought a OTG cable for $2.50. I used the cable and it worked fine (able to transfer files from USB memory stick to/from device) on a Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phone version 4.4.2 and also a Galaxy S6. However, when I connect the OTG cable/USB memory stick to my LGL15G, nothing happens. I have tried the various different USB settings on the phone, but still nothing happens. It is as if I'm not even connecting anything to the phone. There is no response whatsoever on the phone. Can someone tell me how to solve this problem.
Thanks.

USB OTG isn't a universal thing; it's quite likely that your LGL15G simply doesn't support it. (Not really surprising if you paid only $10 for it!)

Some phones that could otherwise support OTG just don't provide enough power to external devices (like your USB drive). For those, you can try getting a powered OTG y-cable (something like this, perhaps). Again, though, no guarantee that it will actually work with your Tracfone.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones