• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Problem with $10 Ebay Extended battery

Fixmy59bug

Jun 7, 2010
Ok, So I picked up a $10 "long life" 3500mAh battery on Ebay from ibestone about a week and a half ago. Quick shipping, but the battery appears to be junk.

Received the battery today in the mail and instantly put it on the charger via USB.

After about 2 1/2 hours the green light lit up so I figured it was good to go.

Unplugged it and started messing around a little bit. After 56 minutes of moderate use the battery was down to 86%. So I put it to sleep and put it in my pocket. 20 minutes later, it vibrates and turns off. I turn it back on and the battery is at 82%. Then it shuts right back off.

When I got home I left it off and put it on the wall charger. The solid orange light came on so I figured it was charging. About 20 minutes later I go back into my room and I notice the light is flashing orange then flashing green and repeating. I turn the phone back on and it is at 76% and it turns right back off again.

I put it back on the USB charger and turned it back on. It got as high as 94% then disconnected and started the orange/green flashing again. Also, under Battery Status, it says "Discharging" instead of the normal "Not Charging".

After 5 minutes of discharging, it automatically reconnects and starts charging again. It repeats this for about 5 cycles then shuts off on it's own again.

I put the OEM battery back in and it works just fine again.

I think I learned my lesson about cheap $10 Chinesium outsourcing.

I have yet to have issues with any of my batteries I have bought on ebay. I have bought two 1800mAh ($14), 3000mAh ($10) and two 3500mAh ($10 each) batteries for my Android Evo. All work like a charm. They were the cheap ones too. I kept losing them... that is why I kept buying.

If you did a little of searching, you would have found PLENTY of threads reviewing the extended battery. Many were mostly about how effective they are. My 3500mAh can last me almost 2 days without charging with normal use. I believe it is due to charging the battery alone on a wall charger (not USB) as someone on a post recommended. Give it a try. Charge the battery on a wall charger, then let it drain, then charge again to the fullest. That worked for me.

So I wouldn't blame the Chinese, since if you see the OEM battery is also Chinese made. A little of researching can save you alot of money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones