• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem with files on SD card in Galaxy s3

cozmik

Lurker
Aug 8, 2012
Hi there, I've recently got my first android phone, galaxy s3 16Gb internal memory. Very nice indeed. I got an 64Gb SD card to store music, films and pictures on. But am having issues with the card in that some files are not accessible and appear as folders, in other folders some files appear to be missing. If I remove the card and stick it in the card reader on my PC then I can see all the data on the card fine. If I put the card back in the phone and view the files on the SD card from a computer (via USB cable) folders that contain problematic files don't display the correct number of files and random other files are missing from the explorer view, BUT these other files are still accessible from the phone. So is the phone faulty or the sd card, do I have a virus on the phone? The SD card seems fine when in my PC, i.e. all the files that appear incorrectly named or as folders are readable when the card is in my PC... I am baffled!

Right, might have fixed it myself although not what I expected it to be. Most of my media files have long file names that include the artist, album, track number and title so easy to create ID tags for them. And I think this is the problem. I wrote a VB script to go through all the files and rename them to track01, track02, track03 etc. and the problem has gone away. So more than likely it was the length of the file names that caused the issue...? So far all is good now...

Upvote 0
Yes, that's what I thought. An example of one of the old file names is:
/mnt/extSdCard/Muzak/TheClash/Clash - 41 - Wrong Em Boyo.mp3 which is well under 255 characters and this file would always appear as a "folder" when viewed from the phone which was empty and the size would be 0. The name would be shown incorrectly as .mp3mp3. When I say always when I was playing with this issue, I reformatted the card (via the phone) and copied the files back on at least a couple of times and it was always the same files that were problematic. But the card reads fine in my computer. So there could be a problem with these specific files but viewing from a Micro$oft OS is more forgiving than from Android?

Upvote 0
So I'm not going mad! Well renaming all the MP3's to shorter names has fixed the issue so far, but I did also have issues with the names of a few pictures and movies and got round these by renaming them. I will hopefully get time to reformat the card this weekend and put all the originally named files back on to see if formatting as fat32 fixes the problem. Cheers for the advice. My card is also 64Gb San Disk!

Upvote 0
Having a similar problem, I've got the galaxy s3 and bought a 16gb micro SD card. Tried putting my music albums over to it via Samsung kies which is a total waste of time. Then I tried just dragging them over through windows explorer. I'm using windows 7 as well if that helps.
Nothing seems to be working. Out of 27 albums only 2 showed up correctly. The others were there on the card but on the way over the changed names to a bunch of jibberish and would not play.
I've tried formatting the card in the phones menu, formatting it through the computer, moving stuff over via USB cable and moving it over via SD card adapter. All these options have the same problem and its not just with music either. I've tried videos and pictures also.
Please help me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones