• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem with Samsung Kies

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Unfortunately none of them have worked for me. :( I have more things I am going to try but I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to just use the phone is Mass Storage mode and then use something else for upgrades.
All the suggestions that I've followed seem to be for a different phone (I thought this section was for Galaxy S phones) and the steps don't match. Example - I have to go to Setttings/Wireless and Network/USB settings for the options of Samsung Kies or Mass storage. (There's also one other option there - Media player. Don't know what that is.) I don't get the option in the status bar saying to connect with USB when I've got that plugged in.
Kies does not recognise my phone. When I plug the phone in via USB Kies does not change from 'connect device'. I can however go through the steps on Kies to upgrade the firmware. I get as far as the section where I put the phone into 'recovery' mode with the three button process and the yellow triangle appears on the phone. I tick the box that says I've read all the above points, then tick the box that says I agree to 'them' using my details for research (or whatever it says) but the button to start the actual download is greyed out and I can't start. I'm thinking this is because doing the above actually causes the internet connection to be lost (I tether the laptop to the phone for my internet connection) and so I'm unable to upgrade. Can anyone confirm this would be the case?
I don't want to use Kies. Can I upgrade my firmware via Odin? Is that sanctioned by Samsung? Is it safe for a non-techy like me?
My phone details are -
Model - GT-I9000T
Firmware version - 2.3.3
Baseband version - I9000TDVJV4
Kernel version - 2.6.35.7-I9000TDVJV6-CL530973 root@DELL125#2
Build number - GINGERBREAD.DVJV6

My laptop has Vista installed.

It's really disappointing that Kies has all these problems and has had them for about 3 years. Do the developers at Samsung actually read these forums and see all the hassles people have with Kies? I'd say not!

Thanks all,

Julie

Upvote 0
My W8 laptop was on and booted up.

I plugged my S3 usb into a 2.0 usb slot and the laptop's Kies immediately recognized that a device was connected and requested that I unlock the S3.

I did so and performed the sync steps without pain.

Unfortunately, I did not know that Kies had a problem and do not know why mine worked, so cannot be of help but to say that Kies has worked the two times I have synced two phones to two different computers.:)

Upvote 0
Some people don't know how to update Samsung drivers to test in Android Studio. Othere just want a proper driver. Please follow this link if you think this is interesting. This is a page from my blogg.

Trouble Using A Real Mobile Phone Device To Test

I absolutely ripped my head with this one. Programming I can do, but having hassle with the development environment really gets me down.#

One thing is for sure. It is really necessary to check your app on a real device. Emulators only take you so far.

Anyway this one started me thinking that it would be nice to share my experiences with the general public.

I had the disadvantage of wanting to test my Android Application on two Samsung devices. Samsung has propriety stuff I wish it didn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones